Quilters- a newbie needs direction

These kinds of quilts are called Memory Quilts. You may need to use interfacing or stabilizer on some of the fabrics before using them in the quilt if they are not 100% cotton. One idea I have heard of that still makes it a memory quilt, but you don't actually use the fabrics, is to take a picture of each item, and they have fabric transfer sheets you can use to transfer the picture of the item to nice cotton fabric, and use that instead of dealing with the interfacing.

Check out www.sewmamasew.com for help and ideas. They have a nice forum as well as a store.

Here's a link to the forum someone else was asking for help with a memory quilt with t-shirts: http://www.sewmamasew.com/forum/index.php?topic=1882.0

Hope
that helps!

Quote:
Oh wow. Well if it makes you feel better, once we had neighbors who lived int eh shot gun house not 5 feet from our house and they were moved two weeks before I realized they were gone.

I am doing my first quilt. It not soo hard so far. Enjoying it right now.
celebrate.gif

Got the Memory Quilts Book, bought the lining, did some cutting, ironing, more cutting, and sorting.

Then the MIL showed up with her sewing machine. She declared I could not make 1 quilt for my own snuggle purposes (You know, to remember when the kids still wanted hugs?), but 2 smaller quilts to pass on to my children when they start giving me grandbabies.

*sigh*

So I cut more onesies, more ironing, more-more cutting, more sorting.

Now I have two stacks of squares, ready to start sewing together.

Then the husband decided I needed to do a memory quilt of all his concert T-shirts, for when he was a roadie.

*double-sigh*

Pictures to follow, eventually.

Oops, I lost my first post. I am self-taught. I read everything I can get my hands on, mostly from the local library. My two PBS stations have three quilt sewing programs. I love Eleanor Burns' show. Use cotton fabric. I pre-wash as soon as it comes home with me. I am lucky because I live 50 miles from Hancocks-Paducah and buy mostly from the remnant table--also they have a huge selection of thread--I prefer cotton. I had a problem getting that 1/4" seam so after trying different methods, I finally bought a foot with a 1/4" guide on it from Sears, which is where I bought my $200 machine. (You don't need to spend a lot of money.) I make mostly small wall or lap quilts because I like quick results. I've never used a kit but I do use their ideas; that's an option too. Choose something simple at first. My local library asked to display my quilts but after agreeing I am having second thoughts. Their glass case is locked but has a 24 hour light. Also, my five generation photo quilt will be a heritage quilt for my family so if it is damaged or stolen, I could never replace it. You can do this and you will be so proud of your work. Choose a quiet time and cut as accurately as possible. Good luck!

Choose a quiet time and cut as accurately as possible. Good luck!

Turns out, cutting in not my forte. Plus baby onsies are all weird shapes and sizes, stretched, torn, and besmirtched beyond reason. Here is my progress on #1. Still need to do #2.

Yeah, I TOTALLY cheated on the back, but PLEASE remember I haven't sewn since I was a brownie. Seamstress, I am NOT.

I know what you are thinking, don't think that. This is a skill I do not posess. No laughing from the peanut gallery.
lau.gif

36979_img_8164.jpg

36979_img_8158.jpg

36979_img_8165.jpg

I think what you are trying to do is wonderful... My daughters father in law, had three quilts made for his children... they were small in size to bring home their children in from the hospital... What he did was save some of their mothers favorite clothes and then had a favorite picture of each of them with their mother, printed in cloth... he had that in the center of the quilt.. pieces of her clothes and wedding dress was made into the quilt. You see their mother died very suddenly... she had a pain in her back, she was rushed to the hospital were she was hemorraging and they did surgery... came out and said she was fine and in recovery... what a relief... 20 min later came back to say she had passed away... This was one year before my daughter married her son... they were the first to get married... so the father presented his three with these quilts... my daughter has theirs hanging on the wall of my granddaughters bedroom.... such a great gift..

Try and get a picture of you and your children to make into cloth.. I don't know how it is done.. but it is a beautiful presentation... one they will have forever.. good luck to you

Back
Top Bottom