Quilts---how to clean them---- "PICS ADDED"

92caddy

Egg Lover
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Portland, IN
I just got back from PA selling off my parents estate and I bought 3 quilts, how do I go about cleaning them up? They have a yellow look to them and some brown on them.

Also how should I store them?

I'll get pics of them in the morning and post when I have time.

Last edited:
wash on delicate cycle with woolite. dry on low heat . make sure they are dry before folding or storing. Us a white sheet and lay it on floor then quilt on top of sheet. Roll them and then the sheet will protect from light and rolling will keep the creases out.

I agree with what chicken women said.....but if you have an extra bed that isn't in use.....you can lay them flat with a white sheet between them and then one on top. This way you could display them, if you wanted to.
smile.png

But as CW said.....make sure they are completely dry before storing.

I agree with CW and Acre..do not store in anything plastic!!! I have most of mine stored as above only I put them in pillowcases after foldin..some I had to make cases for..also take them out and re-fold every now and then.

For cleaning: Are these new quilts or older quilts....or are they antique?
Cleaning is different for each.

New quilts...hopefully the maker used prewashed fabrics so you won't have to worry about colors bleeding. You can spot treat with a spray spot remover. Wash in cold water and dry on low setting in dryer or lay on a white sheet outside in the shade turning until dry.

Older quilts...Spot treat with a soft toothbrush and Biz or Woolite soap made into a paste. Wash on delicate cycle with Woolite and dry on low setting or lay out to dry.

Antique quilts must be treated with dignity.
If you know a dry cleaner who has experience, allow them to clean your quilt.
If you attempt the home method your antique should not be put in a washing machine....EVER. The fabrics have aged and can disentegrate even on gentle cycle. The inks used back then also weaken fibers in the patches.
Spot wash by hand using Woolite paste or Grandma's Secret Spot Remover which can be found at many quilt shops.
Handwash in the bathtub in tepid water. Mix 1/2 cup Woolite in quart jar with two cups of water and make sure it is dissolved if using the powder. Soak the quilt in the tub for 15 minutes then gently squish it in the water....do not wring it.
Drain the tub and let quilt drain. Fill again and squish and turn the quilt to remove soap. Do this several times until you get clear water. Let the quilt drain. Roll into big towels to remove most of the water.
Stretch the quilt out flat onto a sheet and dry flat. I dry mine in the shade between two sheets. Be sure to turn the quilt many times to allow the batting inside to become completely dry.

Stubborn stains in white areas can be spot treated by hand with diluted lemon juice and must be throughly rinsed with clean water. Sun exposure will help lighten the treated spots. Be carefull because older quilts don't like bright sunlight for long periods of time.

I would have to say these are antiques, the 2 big ones are and the smaller one is old, not antique.

I was thinking that putting them in the washing machine may not be good for them, I had thought about the bath tub method, just need the time to do them that way.

I'll get pics of them on here when I have time......................Thanks.....

I wish they had shown up better in the pics. The 1st has some pretty worn spots, the 2nd is really turning brown on the back side and the 3rd didnt show up very well in the pic, its a really pretty pink with blue and starting to turn yellow. The 3rd is half the size of the other 2, its like child bed size.

Back
Top Bottom