Quilts

KenK

Songster
9 Years
Jan 23, 2011
Georgia
A post on the Random Ramblings board has had me thinking about quilts.

We have a bunch of them and are not quite sure what to do with them... All treasured possessions, some are well over a hundred years old at this point. We have quilts made by great grandmothers, grandmothers, and mothers. My mother in particular made about the finest quilts you could imagine. Museum quality stuff.

Although I'd love to just wear them to threads before we pass on, they are all too small to fit our bed. We have no children and the niece and nephews would use them for rags and dog beds.

I feel sometimes that we don't own our possessions, they own us.

I see you have a niece and nephews so does that mean you have sisters or brothers? Maybe they would be interested in some of them. If not call a Museum and see if you can donate them. It would be nice to see them on the wall for years to come.

If nothing else, you might try selling them to collectors (especially if you can provide some history to go with the quilt). At least if you sold them to a collector they would be cherished and not used as rags.

No fair posting about antique quilts without pics.
wink.png

Maybe you can get in touch with a local quilt guild and have them hung at their show as "For Sale". Not all guilds will be accomodating, but some may. They may also have other ideas. Our guild donates a lot of quilts to flood victims, local women's shelters, hospitals, etc.

Last edited:
Here are a few that aren't too hard to get to.

These first two were made by great grandmothers.

SU1HMDAzMTgtMjAxMTA5MDItMDgyNS5qcGc.jpg

I believe my mom said this one was made out of flour sacks. It's not quilted but held together with tufts of string. There is a name for it but I don't' remember.

SU1HMDAzMjEtMjAxMTA5MDItMDgzMC5qcGc.jpg

My mom made this one for me when I was 10 or 11 and we moved into the first "good" house we ever lived in and I had my own room. She let me pick the color and pattern which would account for the garishness. She actually quilted this one herself. She loved to piece quilts but hated to quilt. There was an old lady nearby that she hired to do them, by hand, she couldn't tolerate machine quilting.

SU1HMDAzMTktMjAxMTA5MDItMDgyNy5qcGc.jpg

Mom made this one for me when I set up housekeeping on my own the first time.

SU1HMDAzMjAtMjAxMTA5MDItMDgyOS5qcGc.jpg

I agree, they are beautiful. You are so lucky to have these treasures. Please don't give them to someone that would use them in a dog bed
sad.png

I agree with the suggestion to either try to sell them privately (ebay or craigslist or post in the newspaper) or donate to a quilt museum. If you do a google search for "quilt museum" you might find one within driving distance of your home. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom