quit job, hatch for a living!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chkinut, Dec 14, 2010.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i'm dreamin' here tonight....but i would LOVE to quit my job and instead, hatch chicks for a living! and/or do something else chicken/poultry related. strange topic....but i just had to get it off my chest. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    When you figure it all out, you can make an infomercial on the secrets of hatching wealth and sell MILLIONS of copies of your new book.

You will be rich, and retire to a life of leisure on a chicken ranch.

I am sure of it.

3. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    [​IMG] u made my husband laugh!...and me! but hey, chicken ranch? sounds so enticing!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I suggest googling chicken ranch before you name a farm that.... just sayin.

5. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Quote:I suggest googling chicken ranch before you name a farm that.... just sayin.

[​IMG] Just googled it, lolol.

The place I got my Chickpea from is amazing. It's a family run hatchery that has been in business on the island for like 50 years or something, and they are so nice everytime I go in! Maybe it's cause they get to play with chicks all the time [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] Just googled it, lolol.

The place I got my Chickpea from is amazing. It's a family run hatchery that has been in business on the island for like 50 years or something, and they are so nice everytime I go in! Maybe it's cause they get to play with chicks all the time [​IMG]

Yeah, one may think twice about naming a farm Chicken Ranch. You could wind up with the wrong clientel.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I swear that when I read this thread title on the main page I was sure the OP was going to be gryeyes. [​IMG]

8. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    I have a similar dream but alas, the business plan does NOT look good. Fun thought though.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Boy, wouldn't I like to! But I don't think I'd make any money at it - I wouldn't be able to sell any of the chickens!

Chicks, maybe, though... If I did enough volume so my heart didn't latch onto any particular ones... Within a week.

I've just spent 20 minutes in the bathroom nursery admiring the 3 latest hatchlings. Then another 5 minutes in the guest bedroom where i've got all the incubators set up, urging one little chick to push harder and zip its pipped egg. Its little beak is poking out.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    quit job, hatch for a living!

. . . . Isn't that what hatcheries do? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by