quit laying or a predator?

RoyalHillsLLC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
NW Louisiana-Vivian
Two days in the last week we went to collect eggs and there was none. The first time I blamed it on something going in thru the open door during the day and eating them (raccoon). Then, a couple days later, we left them penned all day and still no eggs.
Today I decided to let them out early and came back at lunch and found 10 eggs.
Can they be laying 10 eggs one day and none the day before?
It is 100 degrees out but that just seems starnge to me unles a snake or something is sneaking in. I killed two large snakes early in the year because they ate the eggs and couldn't get back thru the wire (or were too fat and lazy to). Can it be now a large enough snake to eat almost a dozen eggs could fit back thru the wire?

I know my hens miss a day here and there. (LOL, they've only been laying for a week and I already act like I know what I'm talking about!) When a bunch of human women get together, their cycles all synchronize, so maybe the same is true for the hens. I don't know!

For a couple of weeks back in late May/early June my girls all stopped laying. I did find one broken one on the floor of the coop early on and thought one of them was smashing and eating eggs. We kept a close eye on things and decided that was an accidental break. A couple of weeks later, and they were all laying again. I think it was a minor molt, because there was some feather loss, but no one was completely naked. Now they are laying reliably.

Back
Top Bottom