Quitters? Dead eggs?

I am currently hatching from the same incubator. Yes it does seem very accurate. But still need an extra one just incase.

As for the quitters, idk many reasons they could have quit.

Where did you get the eggs?
How old were they before starting to incubate?
I got them from a friend nearby, with a really good operation. They were a day old.

You may never know why a quitter quits. It happens. Maybe it just stopped development now and it will keep you from misery later.

What's always worked for me is keeping the temp 99.5-100 degrees and not letting the temp fluxuate (sp) . I've even used bubble wrap sheets lain over the incubator. I do very low humidity for 18 days and jack it up the last 3 days to at least 65-70%.

Sometimes bacteria inside an egg can look like fertile but it is not. Only experience and knowledge can help you along.

My NR360 was off on temp. I had 3 calibrated thermometers in there and to keep it with an average temp of 99.8 (closest I could get to 99.5) I had to have it set at 101. I had it at 100.5 at first but average was around 99 or just below so I bumped it up. Humidity seemed pretty good with it though. So always best to have a calibrated thermometer in there JIC.

Do you have a different light. I am not fond of the nr369 candler. ( tried it and it didn't seem to work as good as a regular candler IMO) may help you see better.
I have an NR360 and agree that it's a suboptimal candler. I took a piece of cardboard about 6"x6" and cut a dime sized hole in the center. I put that over the candler and set the egg over the hole; it blocks all the light spillage and, in a reasonably dark room, makes the egg contents readily apparent.

Speaking of thermometers, I've always had 3 going. Then there's the little microclimates so I move the eggs in the middle to the outside, etc, like once a day. Even incubators with fans.

A good candle-system is a must. At 6-7 days I always look for something inside the egg that looks like a daddy longlegs spider. A small dark spot with veins spreading from it.

I loved incubating. I did it for 14 years and had fun. My incubator played a little song when it rotated the eggs. My husband and I would stand there staring at the eggs even knowing they would not move or hatch at that time. Towards the end I would chirp at the eggs and wait for someone to answer.

Back
Top Bottom