Quitting sugar!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Xtina, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I quit sugar about two weeks ago and I really thought the cravings would subside by now, but the haven't! Not at all. I never realized I was this addicted, but it seems like a million times a day I'm resisting my urge to eat sugar and I have a constant low level of headache. I think it might be from the stress of denying myself a treat. I'm determined to do this and I'm not totally sure of my rules right now. I'm not eating sugar substitutes of any kind, like splenda and stevia, but occasionally I've had some honey, even though I don't want to be eating that either. I'm really trying to avoid all added sugar in my diet. Part of my problem is that a lot of healthy sugar substitutes people recommend, like fruit, and kind of repulsive to me. I have incorporated more fruit into my diet since this started, but it does almost nothing to satisfy my sugar cravings and it almost seems to make it worse by being such a lame substitute for all the bad stuff I love. The only thing I do that works even a little bit is drink tea that is naturally sort of sweet, but not sweetened with anything. Does anyone have any advice about this? I'm just shocked it's taken this long and I'm still craving sugar constantly, and I'm also shocked to discover how addicted I am. I feel like it's not just psychological, but physiological too.

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I quit eating sugar about 10 days ago but I do use splenda because of the craving for sweet. As a matter of fact I have a carrot cake made with Splenda in the oven right now. I'm caving apparently. I eat about 3 fruits a day too so I really am getting lots of sugar anyway. I find if I have a glass of wine after dinner it makes me crave sugar more, perhaps because the alcohol is converted to sugar right away in the body. Sorry I'm no help but I support you![​IMG]

3. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks! I'm doing this for Lent, but mostly I just want to try to break my sugar addiction so that after Easter, I can have more moderation in my diet. That's why I'm not wanting to use sugar-free things and honey...I feel like it's not in the spirit of sacrifice.

4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah I see. I'm in a pact with a friend who has diabetes. She has to watch carbs as well so it's much harder for her. Good luck!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

From experience, I know that you just have to plow through this difficult phase and then you will be free.

FREE. You will once again own your mind. (I mean that you won't be pulled and pulled.)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Check the fruit you using for replacement. A lot of fruit is high in natural sweeteners and your body will start craving that sweet as a replacement for the actual sugar. Try sticking with fruits that are not real sweet and see if it starts slacking off.

7. Actually, if you research Stevia, it's natures version of sugar. I can only use a little bit because it's so sweet. Stevia has health benefits as well. It was use as medicine for a ong time, and is still used today! Really, you don't have to give up ALL sweetness do you?

And, no offence intended if I sound pushy. I am concerned for your health as well as others.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What were you eating that had so much sugar in it and what are you eating now, instead of those foods? Or have you cut your calories at the same time?

9. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:I was eating everything, except sodas (although sometimes I'd drink them as well). My grandfather started a candy shop and soda fountain when he first immigrated to the states, and while that was long before I was born, the sugar habit stayed strong in my family. My family usually eats a bowl of ice cream every night after dinner, in addition to whatever chocolates and candies and baked goods we might run across during the course of our days. We've never been an obese or overweight family (on my side, not my husband's) so it was never really a concern. But I am a little closer to overweight than I want to be, so I'm trying to break the habit.

10. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Forgot to add, no I'm not replacing sugar with anything, although I feel like I'm eating more food just to satisfy my cravings in the last few days. I shouldn't feel this physically drained and I imagine a large part of it is that my infant son doesn't sleep at night, so I have to function on very little sleep myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by