Quoll attack

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 23Sandreef, Jan 13, 2014.

1. 23Sandreef

23Sandreef Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    Hi I live in Tasmania in the Huon Valley; I hatched five out of six eggs (Barnvelder Light Sussex Cross) and the chicks are about 12 weeks old. I lost one chick about a week ago, found on shelf under the perch with no apparent injuries but jammed in a corner. Have noticed the hens have gone off the lay a little. Today I heard the rooster making a serious din about 3 pm and went down to check out the chook shed. A second chick was found on the floor of the shed with a broken leg (had been grabbed at joint) and all meat eaten from the neck. I presume the cause of this carnage was a Quoll but in broad daylight????? . The rooster is most protective at any time and this is all a bit hard to believe. I am sure this chick wasnt killed during the night. Cant figure out how this animal got in either but I know that my neighbour feeds one. . I plan to put a night action camera down there tonight to try to see where this animal has got in. Hopefully I will not loose any more birds. Regards to all of you chook lovers around the world. Like you I love my hens. They are wonderful birds. Last year my goose was taken by a wedge tail eagle while out in the open paddock!!!! I just have to tell myself that these protected animals have to have food too!. Regards from Abels Bay!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    welcome to BYC, I don't know what a quoll is but, I hope it doesn't get any more of your chickens.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you onboard [​IMG]

I hate to hear about your loss's [​IMG]

I hope you catch your predator [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on the Predators forum, hope the game camera helps you figure out how to deal with the problem.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I agree with posting in the Predators forum, good luck to you.

8. hungnguyen

hungnguyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Welcome to the site. I hope you catch the predator to prevent further loss.

For info., a Quoll is an animal in Tasmania, Australia area. It looks like a big rat of 5-10 lb size

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - be on guard, whatever the predator, it will return.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by