Quoll attack

Updating on my predators in the chook house and a warning for others! Having lost my two lovely chicks at around 12 weeks to some sort of predator, I upped my investigating. Noticed a few rat dirts and that rats had been chewing my large pastic food bin. They made such a good job of chewing they created their own trap. Once they dropped in to the bin, they couldnt get out. I encouraged them to investigate their trap by ensuring that the chook feeder was locked up in a metal bin for the night and that all food is now stored in a metal bin. So far a total of 27 young sleek black and grey rats have trapped themselves. Plus using poison I have found three dead adults. They over indulged by eating my spare bait as well!!!! So what appeared to be one or two turned out to be a heap. Knowing that quolls ( a sort of native cat with spots can jump 1.5 metres) I I also created hanging perches and ensure that all of my flock sleep on those at night. Bit of a drama, particularly as I have to lift the rooster across after dark and he is not impressed. He is a big fellow so if he tries to get there himself he sets the perch swinging and upsets the hens. Patience is paying off, the rest get up there themselves. I have a vegetable garden near by that the rats had demolished so moral of the story is - if you think you have two rats, you probably have twenty two and get on to them early. I am off now to plant some mint down there!!! Greetings from you all from Tasmania. Beth.

Updating on my predators in the chook house and a warning for others! Having lost my two lovely chicks at around 12 weeks to some sort of predator, I upped my investigating. Noticed a few rat dirts and that rats had been chewing my large pastic food bin. They made such a good job of chewing they created their own trap. Once they dropped in to the bin, they couldnt get out. I encouraged them to investigate their trap by ensuring that the chook feeder was locked up in a metal bin for the night and that all food is now stored in a metal bin. So far a total of 27 young sleek black and grey rats have trapped themselves. Plus using poison I have found three dead adults. They over indulged by eating my spare bait as well!!!! So what appeared to be one or two turned out to be a heap. Knowing that quolls ( a sort of native cat with spots can jump 1.5 metres) I I also created hanging perches and ensure that all of my flock sleep on those at night. Bit of a drama, particularly as I have to lift the rooster across after dark and he is not impressed. He is a big fellow so if he tries to get there himself he sets the perch swinging and upsets the hens. Patience is paying off, the rest get up there themselves. I have a vegetable garden near by that the rats had demolished so moral of the story is - if you think you have two rats, you probably have twenty two and get on to them early. I am off now to plant some mint down there!!! Greetings from you all from Tasmania. Beth.

Well Beth, sounds like you are taking diligent care of your flock and the ridding of the rat problem I have to give you a two thumbs up nice job and you are correct you just never know how big your problem is until you start trying to fix the situation ...... Wish you well with your flock
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom