Quotes and thoughts for the day

We could call it Mongrel Monday if everyone shared their dogs
lau.gif
I couldn't think of a nicer sounding word that started with M...
idunno.gif

Here are our fur babies! All were rescues.

Diego - the Anatolian Sheppard with the Tumors

The boys - Diego and Draxo (we didn't plan the names we are a blended family, so to speak). Draco is also a Sheppard mix

The girls - both bully mixes

OSHA on left and Indi on right

Indi - my bully breed mix she is two. Anyone who says pit mixes are bad dogs have never been around a truly balanced pack. We have had no issues blending our pack am in fact it happened within four days of me moving in and they had never met. We have had numerous dogs come through and visit and even had a friend's dog for a month again no issues with the pit mix and any of them. She absolutely loves eggs and chickens!

I couldn't imagine my life without dog's and now without chickens!
love.gif
I love them all!

To all of you who have shared your experiences with your dogs I share your pain and worry and the love you have for your dog. Over the years we have had a number of dogs that we had to have put down due to health issues. It is never easy and knowing that you are doing the right thing in ending their suffering does not make it hurt less. But they live on in our hearts long after and the love they gave us never leaves. We adopt unwanted dogs, injured dogs and handicapped dogs. The love they give us in return makes all the worry and expense worthwhile. We currently have seven dogs ranging from an 11 year old Pomeranian with a severe underbite deformity and bad hips to an Anatolian that was abandoned with our vet and lived his first year in a cage with very little human contact. We have a Sheltie that was born with a "clubfoot" and had tumors on her face which were removed and, thank God, were not malignant. We have "The Sisters" who are Pitt/Boxer mixes that the breeder was going to put down as pups since they were an accidental breeding between two of their dogs. Here are some that left us over the past few years.

Pearl was an Italian Greyhound that was born with a deformed leg. At one year old she jumped off a chair, caught her leg in the carpet and shattered it and her shoulder blade. Pearl lived to be 10 years old before she was in so much pain she screamed if she just tried to move.

This is Spike. Spike was Pearls brother. He was the runt of the litter and never really developed like an Italian Greyhound should. Spike developed intestinal cancer at about 5 years of age. After what was for him massive surgery he just gave up. Spike taught us that there is a point at which we aren't helping the dog but are only prolonging the suffering.

Storm. Pomeranian with epilepsy and kidney failure due to the anti seizure medication.

Tobias, found as a pup on a country road while out for a Sunday drive. We finally had to have Toby put down due to liver cancer.

I could go on and on with our dogs over the years but the point I am trying to make is that we made a commitment to these dogs to provide a safe and healthy life. When the time comes, be it due to old age (Pollo our Golden Retriever who died at 23) or illness (the above and many more) part of that commitment is to put an end to unending suffering.

I really think that they understand this. We are with them when they die by whatever means and I have always seen that look in their eyes that says "thank you, I will be waiting for you to catch up someday."

What great stories and pictures of everyone's dogs. Sorry to everyone who have suffered losses of their beloved dogs it's a very harrowing time :hugs

Here is one of my crazy critters Macaroni cheese boy

Nicky thanks for asking about the eggs, they are on day 8 and I have 25/27 going strong. Candled on day 6 because I could just not stop myself and just had 2 clears. Have sold 7 chicks today from my last hatch, so just have three left that I'm saving for my Mum if they are hens!! My fingers and toes are crossed that they are but 2 are looking very roo like :fl

Your post touched me as we have rescued dogs with health problems as well. Thank you for rescuing those dogs that nobody else had given a second chance.

Here are our stories

Diego - Anatolian - 11 or 12 years old now I think. He was a 1 year old tagged dog in Caslifornia and he was hit by a car and dropped off as a local shelter. The owners never claimed him, the shelter performed an FHO on his hip. He was adopted out to a lady who brought him back as she had two other dogs and felt "overwhelmed". At this point Diego (aka former Buck) lost all of his hair as they diagnosed him with corn allergies and was scheduled to be put down. A rescue group in Colorado picked him up and he was fostered at a place that had 20 dogs, goats, horses, etc. I adopted him, he was hoping around on three legs due to atrophy in his bad leg. I put him on Connectin for dogs and within two weeks he was walking on all fours and bearing weight on his bad hip. I also discovered he didn't have corn allergies but it was rather a reaction to stress. His coat grew in fine once he got on a quality feed program and probiotics. Now he has the Tumors. due to his age and location, one is on his chest, I have opted not to remove them. I am treating him here making him comfortable by a herbal regiments including cannabis therapy both for the cancer and for his arthtitis in his hips.

Indi - I adopted her when she was one and she is about 2 1/2 now. She was in a shelter and adopted out with her sister. She was brought back to the shelter but her sister was not. They were named Serina and Venus, she was placed in foster and had been in foster for 9 months. I found out that fister probably wasn't much better than the shelter. Both foster parents worked and so when they worked she was out in the kennel, they both worked full time, so 8 hours. She ws also kennelled when they slept at night so figure another 6-8 hours. When I asked the foster mom about her activities such as walks. She said they have their own dogs and those take priority so mostly we walk our own dogs. The fosters did have a large yard to run around in. So figure she was kenneled for around 14-16 hours a day at least. When I brought her home, she had other issues, peeing in things, no manners and no socialization. It took some work but she is a healthy balanced dog.

Draxo - adopted from a shelters he was reservation pup in New Mexico and was brought into Colorado for adoption. The whole group brought from the reservation all had severe ghiardia (sp?).

Osha - she was a street puppy, who adopted my BF and didn't leave.

What great stories and pictures of everyone's dogs. Sorry to everyone who have suffered losses of their beloved dogs it's a very harrowing time :hugs

Here is one of my crazy critters Macaroni cheese boy

Nicky thanks for asking about the eggs, they are on day 8 and I have 25/27 going strong. Candled on day 6 because I could just not stop myself and just had 2 clears. Have sold 7 chicks today from my last hatch, so just have three left that I'm saving for my Mum if they are hens!! My fingers and toes are crossed that they are but 2 are looking very roo like :fl

Cute pup and love the name.

Yeah on the eggs and good luck with your hatch. Of course you have to post some baby pics!

Back
Top Bottom