Quotes and thoughts for the day

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sumi, Nov 26, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Don't be too hard on yourself sumi. I quit once for about 18 years and stupidly started again. Too much to deal with: divorce, early retirement, selling a house, moving to a strange city, my dad dying, and all that happened in one year. That's what got me back into it again, I was shaken and it seemed to be the one thing to hold me together (or something to hold on to).

Some day I'll quit again. Ken's right, the biggest hurdle is mental.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

3. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

I tried the hypnosis and that didn't help plus all you mention except for the e-cigs. What got me to stop the last time was getting horribly physically ill on the patch, the doc called it a nicotine overdose. Maybe if I could try the patch again and get just a little bit sick...mmm, nope, not going to do it.

5. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Ken, congrats on that achievement that is no small feat! My parent were smokers for years and then when I was a young they gave it up cold turkey. My dad went as far as throwing his pipe off a bridge on his way home from work one day. They said they ate a lot of sunflower seeds, to help the oral cravings and alot of Orange juice. They did it, although I think my mom cheated some sneaking smokes. I never took up the habit, but just glad because my uncle died from lung cancer a year after being able to retire early. He died at 59.

Hey Bill, congrats on your grand baby! I have been on a mission to get off all my pharmaceuticals for the last 3 years.

I was on 10 different medications 3 years ago after my first neck fusion. I was on numerous pills just for the side effects from all the pain meds I was taking. At 46 I realized this was no way to live, I wasn't really living, I was existing from dose to dose of meds. Well I then tried Medical Cannabis in the form of vaping and edibles. Wow, I then began my journey using cannabis to come off the opiates. Mind you, I had been on opiates for a few years due to a ruptured and then collapsed disc. The first neck fusion helped some but my nerve pain in my arm began again after taking a spill in the ice about 6 months post surgery. I Had completely gone off opiates about 8 months after my first surgery and knew then that something was not right. A second surgery was needed about 15 months after the first surgery to correct discs that had moved above and below the fusion. I was on pain meds for 4 weeks after surgery, that was 2012 and have been off since then. I had to be back on opiates after my recent wrist surgery and that was scary. Put me right back to where I was three years ago, mind set wise. Very negative, hopeless and depressed. I stayed on them only as long as needed initially after wrist surgery. Having medical issues can really push you to take better care of yourself. I began juicing two years ago and have lost 25 pounds just doing that. I am now the smallest I have ever been but feel amazing. I am taking two meds currently, one for nerve damage and an anti-depressnt. We eat healthy, organic foods nothing processed, we juice daily, use herbs for illness and supplementation, we have our own chickens for meat and eggs, we grow our own veggies and herbs. Big pharma is nothing more than a way for the government to control the population to some extent. We as a society are too dependent on taking a pill rather than turning inward to hear and truly understand what your body needs. We think a pill will cure any ailment we have. Ha, I don't fall for that load of BS anymore.

Ok stepping off my soap box. Sorry

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hey, what we lack in male numbers, we make up for in quality! [​IMG]

Whoo-hoo! Next thing you know, you'll be at 1,000!

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good for you Tricia, you've come a long way down a tough road. And hey, I liked your soap box talk! [​IMG]

9. COChix

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Thanks, it requires a lot of work everyday, still. It is worth it though. I guess going through all that has helped me see the positive in life and all that it has to offer. I revel in the simplicities now and enjoy the "farm" life. Back to my roots somewhat, my mom's dad was a farmer. I guess that is why it feels comfortable, like I am finally home. It is myself and my BF, four dogs, 23 chickens and about 5-6 gardens.

10. COChix

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by