R-panel coops we build

redhotchick

Chirping
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Fort Worth
We build livestock shelters & had a customer ask for a coop.Here is what we gave him. We built it in kit form in our shop. Then we put it together onsite.

Last edited:

theoldchick

The Chicken Whisperer
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
May 11, 2010
What a neat idea! Those large windows will provide excellent ventilation especially if the coop is located in a warm climate.

2DogsFarm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
NW Indiana
Wow!
Great design - love the human-size access in both designs.

You don't say where you're located but I agree with theoldchick - could you modify to Winterize for someone in a place with nasty Winter weather?
Something as simple as plexiglas panels to cover the windows would make it weatherproof w/o cutting off the light.

Also wanted to ask about flooring - setting directly on dirt will leave those coops predator-friendly.
How about hardware cloth flooring?

Last edited:

redhotchick

Chirping
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Fort Worth
Well the floors can be whatever you decide. HomeDepot sells flat paving stones that will cover the floor easy & cheap. Concrete slab will be the best way. I am mounting mine on hinges so I can lift one side & wash the whole thing out with a water hose. The windows will get covered with a sheet of weaterproof siding in the winter. I am from TEXAS! so it dont get too cold down here.
THANX FOR ALL THE COMMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elmo

Crowing
11 Years
May 23, 2009
DFW
Quote:I'm not really sure what you mean about "mounting on hinges" but do be sure to secure the floor somehow. Right now in the picture you can see a gap between the ground and the side of the building which means a predator could easily dig under and into the coop and get all the chickens inside.

redhotchick

Chirping
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Fort Worth
I had this idea to pour a slab.While it was wet,put hinges in the concrete.Then mount the coop to the hinges. You could then lift one side,& wash out the coop with a water hose.I dont know,just a thought. It would for sure need a floor. I am gonna pour a slab this week & I will post pics.I designed it to sit down on a slab where there is no way a critter could get into it.I dont think I over build, I just use the same materials I would build a commerical building with. Just like everyone on here,I love my chickens.That is why I made one to begin with. My girls can go "you keep a scratching,but you aint gettin in!"

I love Twodogsfarms's idea about plexiglass.I did'nt think about that.It would keep it lit up on the inside. I'm gonna check on prices

Last edited:

Top Bottom