R-panel coops we build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by redhotchick, May 29, 2011.

1. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    We build livestock shelters & had a customer ask for a coop.Here is what we gave him. We built it in kit form in our shop. Then we put it together onsite.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    nice

3. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    How awesome is that !! I love the big airy windows !

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a neat idea! Those large windows will provide excellent ventilation especially if the coop is located in a warm climate.

5. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are really nice!

6. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Wow!
    Great design - love the human-size access in both designs.

You don't say where you're located but I agree with theoldchick - could you modify to Winterize for someone in a place with nasty Winter weather?
    Something as simple as plexiglas panels to cover the windows would make it weatherproof w/o cutting off the light.

Also wanted to ask about flooring - setting directly on dirt will leave those coops predator-friendly.
    How about hardware cloth flooring?

7. redhotchick

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Well the floors can be whatever you decide. HomeDepot sells flat paving stones that will cover the floor easy & cheap. Concrete slab will be the best way. I am mounting mine on hinges so I can lift one side & wash the whole thing out with a water hose. The windows will get covered with a sheet of weaterproof siding in the winter. I am from TEXAS! so it dont get too cold down here.
    THANX FOR ALL THE COMMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:I'm not really sure what you mean about "mounting on hinges" but do be sure to secure the floor somehow. Right now in the picture you can see a gap between the ground and the side of the building which means a predator could easily dig under and into the coop and get all the chickens inside.

9. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    Like the the coops . [​IMG] Do you think wheels will work on these?

10. redhotchick

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I had this idea to pour a slab.While it was wet,put hinges in the concrete.Then mount the coop to the hinges. You could then lift one side,& wash out the coop with a water hose.I dont know,just a thought. It would for sure need a floor. I am gonna pour a slab this week & I will post pics.I designed it to sit down on a slab where there is no way a critter could get into it.I dont think I over build, I just use the same materials I would build a commerical building with. Just like everyone on here,I love my chickens.That is why I made one to begin with. My girls can go "you keep a scratching,but you aint gettin in!"

I love Twodogsfarms's idea about plexiglass.I did'nt think about that.It would keep it lit up on the inside. I'm gonna check on prices

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by