rabbit bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve raised rabbits for over 30 years. My source for information is experience When I started raising rabbits, I had the same ideas. But over the years, I’ve learnt different.

Should they have time out of the cage? Yes. But supervised and alone.

I’ve witnessed rabbits fight to the death. It doesn’t matter how long they’ve been “bonded” or not.

They can have enrichment in the cage. Just like any other cages animal.

The biggest issue beside fighting is the bigger the cage the more space the have to defend. This is where cage aggression comes in.

I only sell one rabbit to a family and in the agreement they are required to sign, it states no other rabbits or I can take it back.

I get calls every month about how “I got 2 bunnies and now ones dead” rabbits are den animals. In the wild the only time they come together is for breeding. After that mom raises babies alone and at 3-4 weeks of age mom leaves them to fend for themselves.

Research is great but getting information solely off the internet isn’t advisable. Talk to breeders. Not rescues or pet stores or humane societies. Breeders deal with the rabbits daily. We are extremely knowledgeable and we offer advice on care, nutrition and husbandry.
I understand that you are a breeder and we most likely have very different experiences and opinions about rabbit care however I do not believe they belong in a cage.

I’ve raised rabbits for over 30 years. My source for information is experience When I started raising rabbits, I had the same ideas. But over the years, I’ve learnt different.

I’ve witnessed rabbits fight to the death. It doesn’t matter how long they’ve been “bonded” or not.

The biggest issue beside fighting is the bigger the cage the more space the have to defend. This is where cage aggression comes in.

I only sell one rabbit to a family and in the agreement they are required to sign, it states no other rabbits or I can take it back.

I get calls every month about how “I got 2 bunnies and now ones dead” rabbits are den animals. In the wild the only time they come together is for breeding. After that mom raises babies alone and at 3-4 weeks of age mom leaves them to fend for themselves.

Research is great but getting information solely off the internet isn’t advisable. Talk to breeders. Not rescues or pet stores or humane societies. Breeders deal with the rabbits daily. We are extremely knowledgeable and we offer advice on care, nutrition and husbandry.
Oh, I never said I only got my knowledge off the internet. 😉 I’ve talked to many breeders and lots of people that are very experienced. Plus, all my own experiences also. 😅 my rabbits were always unhappy alone, no matter how big the cage or how much enrichment I gave them. They were always happier with a friend or two.

I am sure it depends on the breed also. I’ve raised NDs and Holland Lops. I can say that I think my Holland lops definitely enjoy being in pairs more then my NDs did.

And all rabbit personalities differ, so some may do better together then others.

Thank you very much for your explanation tho! I enjoy learning how other people raise their animals. Different set ups work for different people, and it seems like you and me (and the breeders I talk to) have a bit different experiences. As long as the animals involved are happy and healthy tho, I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to do things.

This doesn’t sound right and completely different from everything I know. In my experience it is VERY important for rabbits to be together, and they are anything but solitary. My rabbits are always sad if they are alone, and I never raise just one rabbit. 🤷🏻‍♀️ of course, every rabbit is different and some may do better alone, but the majority of rabbits always do better with a friend.

If you bond then right they can definitely live together, and having a male and female together almost always works out if you do it right.

Also, rabbits are not cage animals. The more space you can give them the better. Of course, free ranging then outdoors with predators is never a good idea, but If you give them a nice big area that’s secure and safe they will never be happier. I perfer not to raise bunnies in a cage and give them as much space as k can give them.

I’m not sure where you got your information and how it is so much different then mine, but everyone does things differently I suppose! And it doesn’t mean one way is right or wrong as long as the animals involved are healthy and happy.

To the OP, it is very possible (and I recommend it) to bond two rabbits together, as long as you do it right. I have some articles that I recommend and I will link them when I have time later on.

Hope this was helpful! 😊
Rabbits get along just fine unless and until they decide to shred each other. Rabbits are not nearly as social as a lot of people seem to think they are. So far you have been lucky.

Rabbits get along just fine unless and until they decide to shred each other. Rabbits are not nearly as social as a lot of people seem to think they are. So far you have been lucky.
Hm. Well, thanks for the info! I know many experienced people who have always successfully kept rabbits together with absolutely no trouble. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Of course, there are lots of extra precautions you can take that is always helpful. Such as plenty of space, multiple hiding holes, multiple feeding and watering stations, lots of different toys, etc etc etc. all that helps a lot and I have had no problems.

I know of lots of people who have bonded rabbits that don't fight when bonding is done properly it has lots of benefit's however unfixed or unbonded rabbits can and will fight.

I think the emotional turmoil in this thread is coming from the view points that sound absolute and hard-lined. People have had different experiences, and some have lead to hurt rabbits, that is what makes people believe that their anecdotal experiences are the rule. We all have to accept that some pairs can bond as adults and others can't.

As long as the boding period is supervised over each play session for a long time, then OP will learn about how they would do together.

Could they act bonded and then rip each other to shreds after months of happy cohabitation? Sure. But, it is not true that that is accurate in each situation.

OP, let your vet's advice rule the day here. Talk to her/him about it. Also do a lot of research and bond slowly and with supervision.

I was not wondering whether or not I should bond my rabbits but if anyone had any tips that could help the process go better these are pet rabbits who will be kept inside not in a cage and will be closely supervised. thank you for your opinions however I do not want this thread to turn into an argument between breeders and house rabbit owners
No. Do not bond. Rabbits are solitary and especially at this age, they will breed and fixed or not (which 30 yrs of experience tells me is not recommended) they will kill eachother!!!!

Do not free roam either. Rabbits are cages animals and can become injured or die from accidents during free roaming.

Playtime should be supervised and for only an hour or so.

I’ve bred rabbits for 35 years, please reconsider.

I've got to agree with this. I only raised them for about 10 years, but my experiences line up with yours.

I was not wondering whether or not I should bond my rabbits but if anyone had any tips that could help the process go better these are pet rabbits who will be kept inside not in a cage and will be closely supervised. thank you for your opinions however I do not want this thread to turn into an argument between breeders and house rabbit owners
Good luck with the process - let me know how it goes! Also, remember that breeders make house bunnies possible :) I'm rooting for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom