rabbit bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toadstool21

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2023
Hello everyone, I have 2 rabbits that I am bonding in 1 week the female is a 5-pound old very shy mini rex and the male is an almost 2-year-old who is full of energy and very outgoing I am planning on doing the 24/7 method and eventually free roaming in a room any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Hello everyone, I have 2 rabbits that I am bonding in 1 week the female is a 5-pound old very shy mini rex and the male is an almost 2-year-old who is full of energy and very outgoing I am planning on doing the 24/7 method and eventually free roaming in a room any tips or advice would be much appreciated.
No. Do not bond. Rabbits are solitary and especially at this age, they will breed and fixed or not (which 30 yrs of experience tells me is not recommended) they will kill eachother!!!!

Do not free roam either. Rabbits are cages animals and can become injured or die from accidents during free roaming.

Playtime should be supervised and for only an hour or so.

I’ve bred rabbits for 35 years, please reconsider.

No. Do not bond. Rabbits are solitary and especially at this age, they will breed and fixed or not (which 30 yrs of experience tells me is not recommended) they will kill eachother!!!!

Do not free roam either. Rabbits are cages animals and can become injured or die from accidents during free roaming.

This doesn’t sound right and completely different from everything I know. In my experience it is VERY important for rabbits to be together, and they are anything but solitary. My rabbits are always sad if they are alone, and I never raise just one rabbit. 🤷🏻‍♀️ of course, every rabbit is different and some may do better alone, but the majority of rabbits always do better with a friend.

If you bond then right they can definitely live together, and having a male and female together almost always works out if you do it right.

Also, rabbits are not cage animals. The more space you can give them the better. Of course, free ranging then outdoors with predators is never a good idea, but If you give them a nice big area that’s secure and safe they will never be happier. I perfer not to raise bunnies in a cage and give them as much space as k can give them.

I’m not sure where you got your information and how it is so much different then mine, but everyone does things differently I suppose! And it doesn’t mean one way is right or wrong as long as the animals involved are healthy and happy.

To the OP, it is very possible (and I recommend it) to bond two rabbits together, as long as you do it right. I have some articles that I recommend and I will link them when I have time later on.

Hope this was helpful! 😊

This doesn’t sound right and completely different from everything I know. In my experience it is VERY important for rabbits to be together, and they are anything but solitary. My rabbits are always sad if they are alone, and I never raise just one rabbit. 🤷🏻‍♀️ of course, every rabbit is different and some may do better alone, but the majority of rabbits always do better with a friend.

If you bond then right they can definitely live together, and having a male and female together almost always works out if you do it right.

Also, rabbits are not cage animals. The more space you can give them the better. Of course, free ranging then outdoors with predators is never a good idea, but If you give them a nice big area that’s secure and safe they will never be happier. I perfer not to raise bunnies in a cage and give them as much space as k can give them.

I’m not sure where you got your information and how it is so much different then mine, but everyone does things differently I suppose! And it doesn’t mean one way is right or wrong as long as the animals involved are healthy and happy.

To the OP, it is very possible (and I recommend it) to bond two rabbits together, as long as you do it right. I have some articles that I recommend and I will link them when I have time later on.

Hope this was helpful! 😊
But, with all this said, I am very curious about how you raise rabbits and the sources that you learned how to do so. Would you mind talking a bit more about it @CherokeeFlats? I am always interested at how other people raise animals and what works for them, even if it is much different from my experience.

I've got to agree with this. I only raised them for about 10 years, but my experiences line up with yours.

But, with all this said, I am very curious about how you raise rabbits and the sources that you learned how to do so. Would you mind talking a bit more about it @CherokeeFlats? I am always interested at how other people raise animals and what works for them, even if it is much different from my experience.
I’ve raised rabbits for over 30 years. My source for information is experience When I started raising rabbits, I had the same ideas. But over the years, I’ve learnt different.

Should they have time out of the cage? Yes. But supervised and alone.

I’ve witnessed rabbits fight to the death. It doesn’t matter how long they’ve been “bonded” or not.

They can have enrichment in the cage. Just like any other cages animal.

The biggest issue beside fighting is the bigger the cage the more space the have to defend. This is where cage aggression comes in.

I only sell one rabbit to a family and in the agreement they are required to sign, it states no other rabbits or I can take it back.

I get calls every month about how “I got 2 bunnies and now ones dead” rabbits are den animals. In the wild the only time they come together is for breeding. After that mom raises babies alone and at 3-4 weeks of age mom leaves them to fend for themselves.

Research is great but getting information solely off the internet isn’t advisable. Talk to breeders. Not rescues or pet stores or humane societies. Breeders deal with the rabbits daily. We are extremely knowledgeable and we offer advice on care, nutrition and husbandry.

Hope this was helpful! 😊
thank you for the information it was very helpful :) they will be free roam in a bunny proof room not outdoors.

thank you for your opinion. however, in the Reseach that I have done our domestic rabbits are dependents of European rabbits who are social animals unlike the cotton tails that we have in the US. I have seen lots of people that have successfully bonded fixed rabbits who live very good lives so I will have to respectfully disagree with you.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom