Rabbit breeder's thread!

We've been discussing adding rabbits to our farm for food n such. So we ended up w 10 rabbits from auction yesterday. HELP! lol

Is there anybody in Texas that breeds Flemish Giants? I'd like to start breeding for meat, but I need at least one rabbit first.

Is there anybody in Texas that breeds Flemish Giants? I'd like to start breeding for meat, but I need at least one rabbit first.

I'm late to this party but maybe you'll see this. There are better meat breeds out there. Flemish are heavy but their dress out ratios aren't that good do to the size and weight of their bones. There are some crosses to Flemish that do okay but the best meat to feed ratios I have seen using Flemish are when one parent is a Flemish x meat breed and the other is a quick grower like nzr or nw or Californian.

I personally raise silver fox. They don't grow quite as quickly as the NZR but I find that my meat to feed ratio is better with the SIlver Fox, they grow out nice on pasture and I prefer their temperaments.

I'm late to this party but maybe you'll see this. There are better meat breeds out there. Flemish are heavy but their dress out ratios aren't that good do to the size and weight of their bones. There are some crosses to Flemish that do okay but the best meat to feed ratios I have seen using Flemish are when one parent is a Flemish x meat breed and the other is a quick grower like nzr or nw or Californian.

I personally raise silver fox. They don't grow quite as quickly as the NZR but I find that my meat to feed ratio is better with the SIlver Fox, they grow out nice on pasture and I prefer their temperaments.

Yeah I figure there are better breeds, but I'd also like the size of their hides too. I'm getting into tanning and need some furs to make things out of...on our hunt this weekend we saw nothing but a coon and I have that hide in my freezer right now, waiting for my egg production to be higher so I can tan away~

Last edited:
Hello I'm a breeder of the American rabbit I have white ,blue, and black these are great rabbits my kids love them both kids in 4-h and. They do very well at shows with there rabbits

Back
Top Bottom