Rabbit breeder's thread!

I forgot to ask earlier and for some reason, as I'm getting ready for bed, this popped into my head.. I'm such a freak lol. Anyway, on Monday when I was breeding the rabbits (Hey, I thought it might be good luck!) one of my does (the one who is always ready to be bred and is the perfect momma) decided to start humping my BUCK. He was trying for a while but wasn't getting it right for some reason and she apparently decided to show him how it was done
gig.gif
They did get it finished after a while and I put her away quickly so she didn't hurt him or something - but what could have caused that? I've never seen it before lol

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, we did build our own cages.. it was cheaper and I was able to make them the sizes I wanted. For the does I have it 24"x36" the bucks 24"x30" and the baby cages 30"x36".. works out nice! I don't know what gauge the wire is or anything, we bought it at Mill's Fleet Farm. We use a 1/2"x1" for the bottom and the sides and top is 1"x2". We put a small wire around the bottom too on the doe cages to make sure that it's so tiny no baby can fit out
smile.png

Hi,Your cages are great.I made the ones for the outside bunny/chicken coop so I could custom make the exact size I needed.
It is much better and more cost effective but was a lot of work.The wire is hard to find but I had the local hardware order the 1"x1/2" for me.I would like to make some replacement cages.I did all the cutting with wire cutters and it was very hard to cut.I think some ppl now use a Dremel tool to do this.Does anyone have experience using something besides wire cutters?What was your experience if you used something else?
I don't think my hands will let me do it the old fashioned way anymore.LOL

Quote:
Well,I can see that dmiravalle knows a lot about rabbits and is a wonderful person to have in this thread.

What I tell you about treating sore hocks may be outdated but here goes.Use Preparation H on the sore hocks.Cut a piece of sheet rock for the rabbit to rest on in it's cage.It will chew on the sheet rock but will not harm it.(I forget what sheet rock is made of.)
As I said this may all be outdated as over time newer better info comes out.

dmiravalle please correct me if needed,as I am old and rusty.LOL

I never thought of using the prep. h, good idea!! She always has something to rest on.. she's just stubborn I guess, lol.

As for the cages, we have used a Dremel, my husband loves that SO much more! It gets those stupid sharp edges too because you can cut closer. We broke ours though and haven't been able to replace it so we finished them with the wire cutters
hmm.png

I recently started raising Flemish Giants and have a couple New Zealands I cross with for selling. I havent shown any yet, but would liek to! I ordered plastic trays online for my bunnies feet. They sit on those and dont get sore hocks.....

I have a flamish that had had two litters last year and each time had them all over the cage and by the time I got out there most of them were dead. I saved a few by putting them with a different momma. Well, I decided to try one more time and she was due any day. I put her next box in her cage as usual. She had already started pulling fur. There were a couple of pieces of hay in her cage and she had them in her mouth and looked very nervous......She would have nothing to do with the next box and previously. I thought, maybe she doesnt like the box. Not sure why I hadnt thought about this before....I grabbed a big couple handfuls of hay and put them in her cage. She immediately started working the hay. I left her alone. next morning I came out to find a perfect little nest of hay/fur and it was moving.....
I havent checked how many yet, as she is a little nervous/can be nippy. I cleaned her water bowl and food bowl, praised her and went on.

So, she prefers NO NEST BOX! Okay. Just had to share my little story.

We used to use sheetrock to many years ago, but now it is hard to find sheetrock that doesn't have some sort of additive, the sheetrock is high in calcium and will cause red urine. I have not used it in years because of that. We have learned sore hocks is more of a bacterial infection in the foot, using antibiotic creme is the best, but once the infection is healed though using something like for baby's bottoms will help keep it sealed same as the liquid bandage. Since bandaging a rabbit's foot is a joke. They will eat faster then anything.

As for rabbits with no nest box, that is fine if you have a solid bottom cage. If you have wire, you will likely loose the babies. Depending on breeds, for Flemish, I used dog crates with a piece of wood across the front to keep babies and nesting material in. But if your nest box smells like another doe or another animal your rabbits would not like to use it. I also bleach mine out, then when I place it in on Day 28 I take a q-tip dipped in vanilla extract and line the box with it lightly then rub a little on the does nose so the does smell the same smell. (Works for fosters too, then rub some of the fosters mom's nesting materials on the new baby).

There are always more than one way to handle things, I have some things work for me and some things don't. Ya kinda have to try things and see what works for you.

As for a doe mounting a buck, way common!! She is just in full cycle.
smile.png
You have to be careful though because sometimes a doe can be very aggressive and intimidate your buck and he won't breed. If I have a young buck with a doe like that, I hold her. Or be sure to only used an experienced buck with a doe like that.

Quote:
Well,I can see that dmiravalle knows a lot about rabbits and is a wonderful person to have in this thread.

What I tell you about treating sore hocks may be outdated but here goes.Use Preparation H on the sore hocks.Cut a piece of sheet rock for the rabbit to rest on in it's cage.It will chew on the sheet rock but will not harm it.(I forget what sheet rock is made of.)
As I said this may all be outdated as over time newer better info comes out.

dmiravalle please correct me if needed,as I am old and rusty.LOL

That is exactly what everyone used to do, so no you are right on the mark in that regards, we just keep learning more.
smile.png

Quote:
Okay, I read where you said the sheetrock caused red urine, to omuch calcium. What else might cause this? I have noticed a ocuple of times red urine......too much alfalfa?

Well anytime you get a high calcium concentrate, rabbits will get red urine and yes alfalfa has a lot of calcium, I don't feed it because it is already in their pellets, I give mine grass hay.

High calcium can cause kidney stones as well.

There is something they put in sheetrock now to prevent molds, etc. that is toxic to rabbits, I know I haven't been able to find untreated sheetrock in a long time, don't know if it is still out there, oh and there are some that mix in fiberglass into their sheetrock, but I honestly don't know if that is still practiced or not.

granit Tiles work well because they easy to clean and disinfect that is my own preference. A lot of cage company's also sell "resting boards" which is plastic with holes and I have a friends who prefer those.

Thanks! I give them pellets and some alfalfa.....guess its too much.

As far as the boxes, the first litter, they were brand new. I will try the vanilla thing.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom