Rabbit breeder's thread!

I can help a little. I did read that a FIRST litter does produce Large dead babies, NOT uncommon. My bunnies first litter developed ONE large dead baby. Next litter was fine. Others will have to chime in about milk production etc.

No her milk will dry up. What size is mom and what size buck did you breed too? This was her first litter? The partially torn/eaten was her trying to get the baby out. So let me understand, you have no live babies left right? Has she stopped bleeding? You need to take her out and check her vulva and make sure it looks untorn and no stuck baby. Then just let her rest. Lots of grass hay and a few electrolytes in her water and she should be fine if there is no internal damage (which is rare).

Believe it or not, I would rebreed her in about 10 days. Oh and how old was she? What breed?

Quote:
Was that her first litter? I had one like that once, but instead of any living she just had one really stretched out dead baby. Her next litter was perfectly fine! I always hope that the first time a doe has a perfectly healthy litter but like Luvducks said, it's not uncommon to have dead babies the first time. I don't have any advice for fostering babies though. You can always try to give her a few and see how she takes to them, but mom should be fine raising just her one. Like I said, I really don't know what advice I can give you there
idunno.gif
Do what makes you feel comfortable!

For your holland, try giving her mint leaves to dry her up!

both girls that had problems were bred to the same lionhead buck.

the mom with 1 live kit is 8 months old, tiny, and this is her first litter.
the buck is bigger than the doe.

the person I got the lop from got her free with cage. no idea on age and she said she never tried to breed her. I do not think the lop was handled much. very nervous and does not totally trust me. not sure if that matters in this case. she and the buck are almost exactly the same size. my guess is that this is her first litter. could she only have 1 if she were older?

I have a buck that is half netherland dwarf and half lionhead. unproven and tiny. should I use him next time with these 2 girls?

Quote:
the missing/torn part was the hind end. I checked both girls. I think they are both ok. the lionhead is eating hay and pellets. she and her kit will stay in the cellar. is 60 degrees warm enough for the kit? If not I can bring them upstairs. the cellar is more quiet though.

Quote:
Was that her first litter? I had one like that once, but instead of any living she just had one really stretched out dead baby. Her next litter was perfectly fine! I always hope that the first time a doe has a perfectly healthy litter but like Luvducks said, it's not uncommon to have dead babies the first time. I don't have any advice for fostering babies though. You can always try to give her a few and see how she takes to them, but mom should be fine raising just her one. Like I said, I really don't know what advice I can give you there
idunno.gif
Do what makes you feel comfortable!

For your holland, try giving her mint leaves to dry her up!

I have some dried mint leaves from my garden.

Yeah, 60 degrees is warm enough for the kit. Just make sure it's on lots of hay and snuggled up in momma's fur. About the mint leaves, just make sure not to give it to her if you do breed her again right away so that you're not risking her being dry when she does have another litter.

OK, lets see if I can explain all this and make it understandable. I am not the best at this so bear with me.

General rules of breeding. (please remember there are exceptions to everything)

You should use a buck that is smaller than your does, unless you have a heavily bred doe that can handle giving birth to a larger kit.

For small breed rabbits: You should breed for your first litter after 5 months old and before a year. It is extremely difficult for a doe to give birth after a year. (Most breeds fall into this catagory)

For large breed: You shouldn't breed your doe before 6 months and preferable have them give birth before 14 months old. These are your meat breeds, flemish etc.

If you doe has a difficult birth and looses her kit's but did give birth, you want to rebreed her sooner than later, almost the sooner the better because she will already be stretch and loose to give birth again.

As for kindling does, you don't want to interfere to much unless you have to, that can stress them out more and cause birthing problems from them being to hyper and not focusing on their jobs.

As for a single kit, if she is nursing it and it has a nice nest, 60 should be ok. Sometimes, does won't mess with a single kit and sometimes the does know better then us about what babies should survive. I have found that saving kits for later breeding is NOT a good idea, generally the kit will have something wrong with it long term. Also, mothering traits are passed on from your doe, bad mom doe, then her daughters generally will be even worse.

Hope this helps you guys. And remember there are ALWAYS exceptions. I had a Flemish doe give birth just fine at 2 yrs old. Her sister died in birth.

Back
Top Bottom