Rabbit breeder's thread!

No, you would put in shavings and straw as normal, then depending on the temp you would add a little to the top of the nest for the doe to mix in. A small bags goes A LONG WAY!! And you don't use it in summer.

Quote:
So HAPPY your babies are doing well! Fun, isn't it?

It is fun.
wee.gif

Quote:
thanks. I got a valentines gift when I came home from work. I have a first time mom that was do tomorrow. I saw blood in her cage and had a heart attack. checked her nest box and saw wiggling fur that was not there this morning. one baby. The box is not very full and it is going to be 14 tonight. I do not know if she is done or not. the blood was very fresh. should I add hay to the box or leave it alone?

Generally rabbits have their babies quickly and usually don't leave the box till they are done. (there are always exceptions). One baby will have a difficult time keeping warm, you want to make sure there is plenty of the does fur in there and some extra straw will help. Also check for dead babies hidden throughout the nest box.

Or if one crawled towards the back of the nest and you couldn't see it. I've thought there were only one or two sometimes when I didn't check the nest fully and it turns out I had 5 or 6 more, lol.

So, I finally was able to breed some more rabbits today!! Two of my girls have already had litters before but I tried two more new girls today. They both responded well, which is awesome. It was funny that two of my very large males were still a LOT smaller than my two big NZ does
big_smile.png
I'm a proud momma!

Quote:
thanks. I got a valentines gift when I came home from work. I have a first time mom that was do tomorrow. I saw blood in her cage and had a heart attack. checked her nest box and saw wiggling fur that was not there this morning. one baby. The box is not very full and it is going to be 14 tonight. I do not know if she is done or not. the blood was very fresh. should I add hay to the box or leave it alone?

If there is only one, they often have a difficult time surviving. If it were at my house I would bring the whole nest box in the house and just bring it out to mom twice a day(morning and evening) for the first 10 days and then once daily after that. It will help it to keep warm.

ETA.. I raise all of my rabbits this way. Since none are for meat having friendlier bunnies is a bonus and raising them this way makes them EXTREMELY friendly! I also don't worry about the cold or heat.

Last edited:
Quote:

If there is only one, they often have a difficult time surviving. If it were at my house I would bring the whole nest box in the house and just bring it out to mom twice a day(morning and evening) for the first 10 days and then once daily after that. It will help it to keep warm.

ETA.. I raise all of my rabbits this way. Since none are for meat having friendlier bunnies is a bonus and raising them this way makes them EXTREMELY friendly! I also don't worry about the cold or heat.

When I was raising my angora's I did this. They were toooo expensive to risk loosing any. It does work.

Back
Top Bottom