Rabbit breeder's thread!

is there any type of wood that is bad for bunnies? can they eat birch bark? I gave them apple twigs and they loved them. is plywood a problem?
are there foods that are toxic that I should avoid?

by the way, no new babies. mother with 4 kits outside and mother with 1 kit inside all doing well.
woot.gif

big_smile.png

Quote:
Well, I don't have that as a reason, but boy just getting old makes a difference, I think I have forgotten more than I know.

I hear ya...it's just part of what makes us lovable.
big_smile.png

I still have a young teen who tries to keep me on my toes.
lol.png

Quote:
Part of it depends on the breed, for example my angora's would get uncomfortable at 80 and when I had english lops or large earred breeds around 90 is when I would worry.

It really depends on the humidity and shade, etc....

I use a swamp cooler in the summer if it is over 95 on the rabbits I have now, but mostly frozen water bottles work if it is really bad which is rare here, I will ice the outside of their ears to cool them off quicker and make sure they have cool water to drink.

But when we had netherlands with little ears, I would say they were closer to the angora temps. That has just been my experience.

mine all have little ears. what is a swamp cooler?

Quote:
Well, I don't have that as a reason, but boy just getting old makes a difference, I think I have forgotten more than I know.

big_smile.png

lol.png

my daughter is 32.

Quote:
big_smile.png

lol.png

my daughter is 32.

My oldest is 32, youngest is still in teens.

Quote:
Not sure on your other questions, but I would not give them plywood to chew because it is made with a glue and probably not safe for your rabbits to eat.

Quote:
GREAT Idea, Thanks!

Plus they can be stacked neatly in a box in the freezer to be handed out frozen on hot days.
smile.png

Great idea! Less room than frozen juice bottle!
clap.gif

treated wood is not good and cherry that is wilted. yes, potatoes, anything that causes gas, to much greens. there is a list somewhere of toxic plants and foods for rabbits but can't remember it off hand. when i have time later will see if i can find it and add it on here for ya.

We find big sticks and cut them into a few inch pieces and that's what we give them to chew on.

I LOVE frozen water bottles - I swear by them in the summer!! Some pages back, I even posted a pic that has one of my does and a baby lying against one, lol

Back
Top Bottom