Rabbit breeder's thread!

these r my only babies at the moment they r mini rexes. they were born 12/12 the red buck we r keeping, then a buck and a doe same color but doe is sold holding her for a friend. my other litters all sold already so i can't wait for the new babies to get here in a few days!!!
bun.gif

0118112214.jpg

0118112212.jpg

0114111449.jpg

Quote:
I've heard that if you keep the rabbits in cages then the chickens can scratch around under their cages. It would be good to keep the chickens off the top of the cages to keep chicken poop off the rabbits.

Joel Salatin of Polyface farms has a system of forage based feeding for meat rabbits. Search the internet for "polyface salatin rabbits" and you'll find links to examples of his method.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

welcome-byc.gif

My chicken coop/house and bunny shed are the same.They have been tog. almost two yrs.The rabbits are in cages and any rabbit food that falls down or is dug out by the rabbits becomes chicken food.IMO the small amt. of rabbit feed the chickens get is nutritious for them. I have a fenced area that the chickens use weather permitting.

Thanks guys
smile.png
I will look into this ! Pretty cool!

Quote:
How much do you sell your bunnies for? And how old are they when you sell them. I read that they should be fully weaned at 6 weeks- but I just got bunnies yesterday, so I am trying to find out all that I can. Hubby got our bunnies at the sale barn for really cheap but I see them on CL from $5-$25 -but I don't see very many young rabbits on there. We were hoping to sell bunnies.

TIA!

i sell them for different prices so it varies. pet bunnies go in that price range here but brood and show go for more. i don't sell them under 8 weeks and elops and velveteens won't go till 12-16 weeks. so i can see their potential w ear lengths ect before i pic my ones i want for showing and breeders.

tried to take photos of the babies today. there are 4. they are 2 weeks old today. I planned to put them all in the purple container but they were too active. I was only able to get 1 photo before the camera batteries died.
15886_my_chickens_853.jpg

great pictures an information guys.! thanks.

i have 3 male rabbits right now. i think i found a lady where i can get some females from. i sure hope so anyway.

whats a site that has a good amount of info on how to build a quick and easy cage? i want it to have a wire bottom.

Was out tending the hutches lastnight and one of the 8 wk old baby bunnies wanted to snuggle.. so I brought it in to hang out it really enjoyed it.
46992_bunny.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone, i have a question, I have two bunnies (i don't know the breed hubby brought them home a few months ago, they are brown and white with floppy ears. male and female, they have been living in a 3x3 cage for the past few months, every once in a while I let them run around in my kid's play area a 50x50 fenced in part of our yard. there's no way for them to get out, so I'm considering just letting them live in there. there's a 4x4 metal enclosure with one side open, where I put their wooden box and their food and water bottle too, I showed them this and they are pretty much hanging around there, running around, then coming back to that area. is their any bug or safety issue that I haven't considered? hubby is concerned if she has a litter the ants might find them, or ticks might be a problem this spring.

Back
Top Bottom