Rabbit cage construction and j feeder placement

balloonflower

Chirping
Jul 25, 2016
Maybe I just haven't entered the right search terms, but I've been trying to search for placement guidelines or recommendations on where and specifically how high to place feeders. The one I am currently working on is a 24x48x18 cage to use for my kindling doe. So, the feeder will be used for both mama and kits, and I will probably add a second in the future. Two of the cages I purchased have the feeders 2" up from the bottom and the other has it 4" up. I'm thinking that lower is better for kits and my adults seem to be doing fine at that height?

Also, do the buns care if it's tight in the corner? Again, one of my other cages has the feeder only 1" in and the buck seems to have no problem with that, even my large rabbits.

Put the feeder in a place where you can reach it. I didnt do that in my first hutch, and its a pain in the neck. Depending on the size of your rabbits, put it at about where the rabbit's neck is. The corner is fine.

I'm now working on the stacked 48" cages to go with the kindling cage I built. These will be split for grow-out. I have the supplies on the way but chose to not order the poly dividers due to the size for shipping. So, I need to use wire or something else I can get locally. I've heard the stories of fighting and possible breeding through wire. What would be best to use? Will 1x1/2 be small enough, or will I need to look into smaller hardware cloth.

I'm glad you took fighting and breeding through the wire into consideration. I've heard lots of stories about people who didnt think about that, and had problems later. Both are very big possibilities, so the hardware cloth may be better. 1x1/2 isn't quite small enough.

Is the half inch by half inch hardware cloth enuf, or should I grab some quarter inch? Anyone know of other options available at a normal home depot? Not sure if there would be some sort of poly something I could fit in. I read one thing somewhere where they used a double thick of wire spaced an inch apart and stuffed hay down to use as both feeder and divider. But I don't see that being easy to keep full the whole width, plus the extra wire.

1/2" by 1/2" is fine. Too small, toenails get stuck. Depending on how wide you want to make the divider, the feeder could work, but hardware cloth is really flimsy. It won't keep its shape without being stretched very tight.

Update and more questions. The stacked cages I built are working out beautifully for me. The buns seem happy enough, and they are providing the space needed for kindling and grow-out.

Now, I find myself planning cages for dwarf buns. My daughter will be getting a dwarf hotot, and I am also working with another girl from our 4H club to build a cage setup for her to use w breeding mini-rex. So, a bit of a size difference from my silver foxes.

Can I stick with the same size wire, or do I need to look at different. Specifically the floor--is the 1x1/2 still okay, or would it be much preferred to use 1/2x1/2. I believe we will be ordering supplies, so I can probably get what is best (gaw for stability compared to the thinner hardware cloth). And still use the 2x1 for the sides, taking baby-saver or urine guards into account?

Also feeders--if I use a j feeder, do I put it all the way down to the floor, or still make the cut from 2-4" up, so the mouth is 4" high. My SF kits seemed to do ok at that height, and they were a couple pounds by the time the were out of the nest, but I'm not sure how big dwarf kits are when they start pellets. Or with dwarfs, is it better to use the crock-style inside the cage?

Another question--if making a longer row cage with dividers, should we go with a solid divider between breeding does, and will the buck's proximity be an issue?

Anyone able to give me some tips? My little 4H friend is coming over tomorrow so we can get her cages planned.

Another question--if making a longer row cage with dividers, should we go with a solid divider between breeding does, and will the buck's proximity be an issue?
There are benefits to both types of dividers. Wire dividers allow more airflow/ventilation, and if a buck sprays, he won't be able to rub himself against a solid divider and get dirty. However, he would also end up spraying a nearby rabbit (messy), and some does can be nervous around other rabbits. If it were me, I would probably make the dividers solid.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom