Rabbit cage lean-to

balloonflower

Chirping
Jul 25, 2016
I would like to build a lean-to for my stacked rabbit cages. The garage was just too hot for them, and right now they're on the patio which is not ideal. So, I found a couple dozen large pallets in really good shape for free the other day and think I can design something using them.

The yard faces East, so it gets morning sun. I will be placing this against the house, but it will get a roof--probably aluminum corrugated panels--to protect from sun/rain. I'm divided on whether to bother with a back, use pallets, or possibly plywood. Open back would certainly allow more ventilation, and the cages have urine guards and droppings trays. I'm suburban and know there are coons and foxes around, but they haven't seemed to bother the cages thus far, so I'm not looking to build predator-proof.

My thoughts with the pallets is to use them for the sides and front, with "doors" on each side for easy access, but the entire front would be as solid as pallets get. So, if I do an open back (using 2x8 cross braces), then there would be pallets on the sides of the cages to protect from elements. Then open doors which I could use tarps or shower curtains across during weather. The sun will mostly come from the front, and I'm thinking about lining the inside of the pallets across the front with burlap (have lots of free coffee bags) for further uv protection--mile high elevation means our sun is intense. But also figure that the burlap will allow for better ventilation than plastic or tarp, though I could consider those for winter if I choose to use then (may keep any non-breeding adult outside). But between the thickness of the pallet and the burlap, rain and snow wouldn't blow in too badly.

So I think I have handled protection from elements and ventilation sufficiently, but would appreciate advice if I've missed something. I have the pallets, burlap, and 2x8 already but would like to limit purchases, other than good roofing which is needed against hail here, so I don't think I can get away with a tarp roof.

Back
Top Bottom