rabbit colony?!?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by redchickenguy, Oct 5, 2015.

1. redchickenguy

redchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    hi! i just got 2 new Zealand mix meat rabbits! i spent a lot of time building wire cages for them but... now that i have them i dont really like the idea of putting the, in cages. i am looking into colony raising them. there are a few catches though,.. i am going back to get another doe in a few weeks because the guy had another litter that i wanted one from. will my 8 week old doe except her when i get the new one? or will she be too young to even care? thanks! ( im sure i have lots of other questions too but i cant think of them)

2. Tiny Acres Farm

Tiny Acres Farm New Egg

Oct 4, 2015
    Fountain Florida
    They would probably be fine but you can do just like introducing new birds to a flock. Separate them but where they can see and smell each other for a day or so to watch how they interact. Rabbits are actually very social animals and enjoy company! Good luck

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Actually, the "social" nature of rabbits isn't natural at all. A lot of today's domestic rabbits seem to enjoy company of their own kind, but wild rabbits are very territorial, and some of their domesticated kin still are. Given enough space, most rabbits will get along, especially if they are introduced when young. Keep an eye on them, though, in case they turn out to need to be separated as they mature.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  4. redchickenguy

Sep 28, 2013
    OK so what i decided to do is get 2 more rabbits one buck and 1 doe. i will have 2 different rabbit colonys. one with two bucks and one with two does. that way i can manage breedings and such. i will put them in two old horse stalls and put a ton of straw or hay in there for them to burro in.one question, should i put the does i have in the colony and add the new one when i get here or will she be too territorial by then? i can keep them in their cages for now.

5. Bunnylady

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    So much depends on the personality of the rabbits, so it's hard to say. I have had does that were raised together and seemed like the best of friends suddenly drawing blood when they hit puberty, and I have had older does that were put together with no issues. I have had bucks that got along at 6 months of age or more, and I had a Jersey Wooly buck that castrated his 4 brothers at the age of 10 weeks.[​IMG] All I can say is, keep an eye on them, and if you see any signs of conflict, separate!

6. redchickenguy

Sep 28, 2013
    ok thanks! the doe i have's personality is pretty "chill" i think she will be fine but i will always have my cages if any problems arise.

7. redchickenguy

Sep 28, 2013
    and thats crazy about your buck castrating his brothers!!![​IMG]

8. Bunnylady

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I totally dropped the ball on that one. I knew they were squabbling, but I had no idea how bad it was.

9. Copper Creek

Copper Creek Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2015
    I don't recommend colony raising. I've had too many rabbits die that way. The can get sick from being straight on the ground and if your using them for meat, it takes a while to catch the right one. Also you'll have a out of control number of rabbits. And who knows what will happen if a another doe or a buck gets to them, but if you want to raise it that way, go ahead. I'm just warning you.

10. redchickenguy

Sep 28, 2013
    i agree. i figured it out the hard way though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by