Rabbit doe strange pregnancy/overdue

JungleChickens

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2020
Pregnant doe had a weird episode and is now overdue. It's a long read but any help would be appreciated.

I currently have a doe who has had 1 previous litter that went normally, kindled on day 31 with no complications, 5 kits.

After breeding her again this time everything was normal up until mid afternoon day 29, she started to lose some interest in eating which seemed normal compared to her last pregnancy. But when checking her a few hours later she seemed to be completley paralyzed in all 4 legs and could no longer hold her head up, was having full body twitching and had stopped eating/drinking/using the bathroom. Its quite a long way to the nearest vet where we live and there are no emergency/after hours services so I made her as comfortable as possible and let her be for the night. When checking her at 5 the next morning she had flopped closer to her food and her head was up. Thinking maybe it was a case of GI stasis I gave her some fresh papaya and fresh greens but after another hour she still wasn't doing well.

At this point my neighbor reccomended massaging her stomach for a few hours to see if it was just the kits in the wrong place pinching nerves. At this point I could clearly feel that the kits were still alive and moving and she finally had a bowel movement.

By noon of day 30 she was up again with full function in all her limbs eating/drinking/using the bathroom like nothing had happened and continued to build her nest that evening.

But now we're on the morning of day 35 and there are still no kits, shes continued to work on her nest but no hair pulling yet. She's been agressive and protective since day 1 of this pregnancy and still is but has also been wanting her face held and rubbing on my arms which is very out of character for this doe, shes never liked attention or being touched. I can still feel the kits moving and she doesn't seem distressed but I'm starting to worry that shes not going to have them in time.

I had planned this litter in advance so there is no way the dates were off and she hasnt been anywhere near a buck since I bred her last. She has had plenty of calcium since I give the does alfalfa when pregnant/nursing. I've given her fresh raspberry leaves the last few days along with her normal diet.

She doesn't appear to be in any pain and is acting like any doe would in the last few days before kindling. I've just never had a doe go this far past her due date or any rabbit have an episode like she had.

Just looking for any advice or if anyone else has experienced anything similar? Is there any way that the litter could make it being delivered this late?

I am new to rabbit's and don't know much could you just call the vet and ask for advice ?

I haven't heard of this in rabbits, but if she were a goat I would be thinking calcium imbalance.

Pregnant doe had a weird episode and is now overdue. It's a long read but any help would be appreciated.

I currently have a doe who has had 1 previous litter that went normally, kindled on day 31 with no complications, 5 kits.

After breeding her again this time everything was normal up until mid afternoon day 29, she started to lose some interest in eating which seemed normal compared to her last pregnancy. But when checking her a few hours later she seemed to be completley paralyzed in all 4 legs and could no longer hold her head up, was having full body twitching and had stopped eating/drinking/using the bathroom. Its quite a long way to the nearest vet where we live and there are no emergency/after hours services so I made her as comfortable as possible and let her be for the night. When checking her at 5 the next morning she had flopped closer to her food and her head was up. Thinking maybe it was a case of GI stasis I gave her some fresh papaya and fresh greens but after another hour she still wasn't doing well.

At this point my neighbor reccomended massaging her stomach for a few hours to see if it was just the kits in the wrong place pinching nerves. At this point I could clearly feel that the kits were still alive and moving and she finally had a bowel movement.

By noon of day 30 she was up again with full function in all her limbs eating/drinking/using the bathroom like nothing had happened and continued to build her nest that evening.

But now we're on the morning of day 35 and there are still no kits, shes continued to work on her nest but no hair pulling yet. She's been agressive and protective since day 1 of this pregnancy and still is but has also been wanting her face held and rubbing on my arms which is very out of character for this doe, shes never liked attention or being touched. I can still feel the kits moving and she doesn't seem distressed but I'm starting to worry that shes not going to have them in time.

I had planned this litter in advance so there is no way the dates were off and she hasnt been anywhere near a buck since I bred her last. She has had plenty of calcium since I give the does alfalfa when pregnant/nursing. I've given her fresh raspberry leaves the last few days along with her normal diet.

She doesn't appear to be in any pain and is acting like any doe would in the last few days before kindling. I've just never had a doe go this far past her due date or any rabbit have an episode like she had.

Just looking for any advice or if anyone else has experienced anything similar? Is there any way that the litter could make it being delivered this late?

What was the result? Did she kindle okay? If, so how late? How many?

It ended up being a false or retained litter and she recovered from her episode like nothing had happened. It seems like it may have been a case of floppy bunny syndrome that caused her brief paralysis. She wouldn't quit obsessively nesting and I was having to stop her to make her eat so I bred her back on day 41 to the same buck to try and induce her if it was a late litter. Her mood improved the next day and so did her appetite again. Shes now expecting in a couple weeks and has a couple full months work invested in a mega nest and tunnel system that shes been protecting very aggressively.

Back
Top Bottom