1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rabbit ear problems

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lacyloo, Feb 23, 2008.

1. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    well my female holand balck rabbit,has something going on with its ears..

Both ears are filled with this yellow crusty stuff, and i appears that she has been scraching it alot,due to the specks of blood. The area has been red and irritated

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    does any one know a solution, or what this sounds like and what I might be able to medicate it with.

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Its ear canker. Its a mite and its quite common and easy to treat. Its caused by a mite. There are drops you can buy or you can get them from the vet.

4. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    Oh ok thanks, my mom works for a vet so whe should be able to pick some up soon, thanks

5. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Those drops will work. Mineral oil coated inside ear works as well. (drowns the mites but is a little messy but totally nontoxic) I usually just pour a little mineral oil in the ears.

6. granites2001

granites2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

any cooking vegetable oil will clear the ears. I use a syringe used for marinate without the needle. Put alot in there. Their whole head will look greasy for awhile. Follow up with ear mite meds.

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Clean as much of the crusty stuff out as you can when you are treating. Don't go into the ear canal though-just the outer parts. This makes it easier to get those little buggers! [​IMG] I also had a vet tell me to dust their head with flea and lice powder as they will try to escape.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  8. Harmon_7

Harmon_7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    That is all i do it dump oil down into it. W-D 40 works too.

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*WD-4O??? No 'Pam' spray or olive oil at your house ANYWHERE? Gotta be a mechanic!!

10. granites2001

granites2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have had rabbits for years.........The oil opens up the ear canals.........We also follow up with ear mite meds...........If the canals are crusted shut, it makes no since to wasted meds!

WD 40 I am sure would work............We just prefer plain old vegetable oil!

[​IMG] Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by