Rabbit Feed or Layer Feed

Weiden Farm

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 7, 2011
My rabbit hutch is the 10x13 foot area under the chicken coop that is raised 3 feet off the gound. The opening to the hutch is 4"x6" and the rabbits and chickens share the same run.

What i am finding is that during the day, some of my girls will go into the rabbit hutch and eat the rabbit feed. Given the volume of rabbit feed we are going through, i believe that this is a good portion of their diet. So i was wondering if it made sense to feed them all the same stuff and if so - what would be better: Rabbit Feed or layer Feed

You should read this thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=37431&p=1
Each of these animals have different nutritional requirements. Do NOT feed the rabbits just chicken feed and the chickens just rabbit feed. It could be detrimental to their health. I would recommend trying to limit the chickens access to freely eat as much rabbit food as they want. If your chickens don't free range, they may be trying to add some "greens" to their diet by eating the rabbit food.

Last edited:
Fred's Hens :

One species is a bird and the other a mammal. This is the difficulty with co-habitating the two.

Not to mention that one species is a meat-eater and the other a complete vegetarian (vegan)!​

I have found that the best way to keep the chickens from eating the rabbit food is to feed a full bowl at night after locking the rabbit up. I also had to move the bowl in to the rabbit nesting box which was to small for the chickens to get in.

Now my only problem is stopping a chicken from laying her eggs in the rabbit cage LOL.

IMAG1154 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom