Rabbit feeder...could it work?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Anny, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Does anyone use this style of feeder for their chickens?

[​IMG]

Does it work for you?

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I have one in the coop. They love it, however, much of the food ends up on the floor. It's just open enough for them to scratch the food out. I've started filling it only every other day, so they'll eat all the waste food.

3. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I wonder if I'm better off getting a handing feeder.

Thanks for letting me know.

4. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    I have two of these in the coop, but not for feed. I use one for oyster shell and the other for grit. My husband hung them from a piece of wood nailed horizontally on the wall. They work great![​IMG]

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Yes they will work [​IMG] but do have a bit of waste. If you havent bought, I would get a regular hanging type chicken feeder.

6. xanaxnation

xanaxnation Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    i tried it when mine were little bitties but they jumped in and threw it all over the place just like any other dish. i found it was easier to fill a regular bowl since theyre gona throw it around any ways...

7. ziggy

ziggy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    CA Central Coast
    [​IMG]

We are using one of these that we weren't using for the dogs. I put a little block of wood to keep the door flap open enough for the chickens. It's fairly deep at the bottom and they don't seem to be able to knock the food out with their beaks and they can't get at it with their feet. They are three months old and five can crowd in and feed at the same time.

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have two. I use one for oyster shell and I use the other for the teenages feeder. I have not had any trouble with them scratching out the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by