rabbit hutch house?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pokey, Jun 14, 2009.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    do rabbit hutches make good housing for bobwhite quail? i have looked at the ones like a tractor supply and was wondering. if so is it cheaper o build one similar?

2. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    Thats what I use. We did have to put some smaller wire around the sides and fromy as the coon were pulling the quail out...they then just moved the tray underneath to get them out.[​IMG]

so now I am taking care of the coon...[​IMG]

if it wasn't for the coon...the rabit hutches work great!

3. tbone

tbone Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    southern illinois
    just be careful not to over crowd.bob whites become canibalistic when over crowded....

4. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    how many could be housed in one w/o problems?

5. kingmt

kingmt Songster

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    How big is it?

6. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    i think they aere about 4 ft long maybe 3 wide w/ part of it having a boxed off area to get out of the weather. nothing grand, just thought a kit would be easy.

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

quail is like 1sq ft per bird but bobs like more room than that I have found. I have 3 in a 4x2 rabbit hutch and they do great. Much more than that they start pulling each others feathers

8. kingmt

kingmt Songster

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I have seen others say that bobs like to have things to get up against like a stick or a small bunch of grass. I have seen people say that this will let them chill out some.

I am new to quail & have no experience to use only what I read here & else where. Sorry I'm little help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: