Rabbit int he Duck House?

BTRT

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 13, 2014
We are starting our duck flock this spring.
We would like to add a rabbit~ considering a Flemish Giant~ but not more than one, because no matter which way you mix them you have fights or babies! LOL
The bunny would have lots of attention and be a pet alongside the ducks.

I have read that sometimes rabbits and chickens are a bad mix, does it differ for ducks?
Could the rabbit be housed in his own pen inside the duck house?
Free to roam with the ducks in the daytime (2/3 acre fenced mixed open and brush (would we just lose our bunny? LOL)?
What is realistic? (aware of predator risks, taking measures for day and night :) )

Thanks!

Lori

by having ducks you would eliminate the pecking problem that can arise when doing it with chickens, but i think you would have an issue with the rabbit getting sick. As a duck owner (love ducks way more than chickens) i know that no matter how much you clean the living quarters, they still poop...a lot. I would be concerned about the rabbit being in the poop all the time. I think a pen would be better and you could keep it clean. Rabbits are pretty clean animals and prefer to use one corner of their space as a bathroom. Also, you wouldn't want to play with a rabbit that is covered in crap!!
lol, you might at first, i would maybe feed the rabbit in the evening when you close everyone up to train him to come back at night. Rabbits are surprisingly smart if you take the time to work with them. I have 2 indoor pet rabbits and breed meat rabbits outside. Rabbits are pretty fun :)
When letting a rabbit range, you can have an issue with digging. Keeping him content, cool in the summer etc will help, but some rabbits just love to dig. I swear they will dig all the way to china. Also, their hay would be soiled and food eaten if they were with the ducks.
Good luck! hope this help a little...feel free to ask anymore questions :)

Oh! True! The mess. It's always the mess with ducks, isn't it?! LOL

We are building the coop so it's easy enough to build in a contained rabbit space -- maybe raise it up with a ramp so it could sit above the ducks, inside the same shelter.

(We're thinking about a Flemish Giant so it will need a large space)-- I know the bunny will need some non-wire spaces to sit, but could the droppings be allowed to fall to the floor and get cleaned up with the duck bedding?
Thanks!
Lori

Oh! True! The mess. It's always the mess with ducks, isn't it?! LOL

We are building the coop so it's easy enough to build in a contained rabbit space -- maybe raise it up with a ramp so it could sit above the ducks, inside the same shelter.

(We're thinking about a Flemish Giant so it will need a large space)-- I know the bunny will need some non-wire spaces to sit, but could the droppings be allowed to fall to the floor and get cleaned up with the duck bedding?
Thanks!
Lori
lol...gotta love ducks!
wink.png

Yes, the ducks would actually enjoy going through the poop...at least some of mine did when the rabbits where above them. Flemish giants are cool...really fun rabbits...so big!! They were some of the funnest to cuddle. :)
sorry it took me so long to answer...i was having major computer problems.

We are starting our duck flock this spring.
We would like to add a rabbit~ considering a Flemish Giant~ but not more than one, because no matter which way you mix them you have fights or babies! LOL
The bunny would have lots of attention and be a pet alongside the ducks.

I have read that sometimes rabbits and chickens are a bad mix, does it differ for ducks?
Could the rabbit be housed in his own pen inside the duck house?
Free to roam with the ducks in the daytime (2/3 acre fenced mixed open and brush (would we just lose our bunny? LOL)?
What is realistic? (aware of predator risks, taking measures for day and night :) )

Thanks!

Lori
I had rabbits live with ducks before and no problem.

Back
Top Bottom