Rabbit killing chickens?

My free range rabbits, sometimes get alittle "too" friends with the chickens, But I dont think they have killed any.But yea the rabbit does sound like the culprit .
hmm.png

He DID have a hutch. Until a tree fell on it. We actually thought that once he had escaped that we would never see him again. But a few days later he came hoping up on the steps and we just decided to let him stay loose. The coop he dug into was the temporary coop that just sits on the ground. It was housing my new chickens until we finished the new coop. The wire on all my other coops is concreted into the ground at least 8 inches. But that was to keep dogs from digging in...Not rabbits.

I use to have some rabbits and ducks but one day i went to go check on them and one of the ducks had its wing chewed off. they had been living together fine for a couple of weeks, i dont know what happened. We separated them after that.

Last edited:
We have built the rabbit his own run that is still on the ground but has wire on the bottom so hopefully he can't get out.

i have rabbits and am getting my chickens later this week and i have never heard of this and my shed is half chicken coop and half rabbit coop now i am worried

Are we sure we're talking about the right perpetrator....what about a raccoon or small criter like that .

I have cage raised bunnies and they would never eat or chew on anything flesh related, even when in heat.....I just find this one odd.

yup if you really want him then get a new hutch.
if you want him loose to roam a bit, just make a pen area for him to stroll a bit.

any loose animal like a rabbit is surely on the menu list also. He might be doing things, but varmints are after him also!

Yes we know its the rabbit. I witnessed him attacking one of my hens and he meant buisness. He bit a pretty good sized hole in her and thats when I went and bought the supplies to make him his own run.

wow. i am so glad you posted this. i have considered getting rabbits. i am definitely one of those who just lets animals mix. and everything goes fine, too. geese with goats and so forth, no problems. even my cat leaves the chickens alone (don't trust the dogs though.) BUT if i had come out to see a bunny chewing a duck wing off, omg. i would have had a nervous breakdown. thank you for letting me know rabbits can be like this. thank you.

Back
Top Bottom