Rabbit made soft poo, but not cecotropes.

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
Hello. My rabbit had a serious diarrhea this year (probably after being overfed cauliflower leaves), but now she's ok. Today i noticed some soft poop in her cage. The rest were normal poops. Rabbit acts normal, has good appetite, jumps around her hutch and stands on her backlegs when she sees wheat bucket (she loves wheat). When she had a serious diarrhea there was more of this soft poo and she was laying in the corner whole day, being lethargic. Today she acts perfectly fine. She had a poop like today a few months ago and acted same (that means good), but i didn't pay much attention to it. She eats a carrot almost everyday, has unlimited hay (there are some straw like grasses, and young green ones, the farmer probably cut the hay too late, or it was raining when the hay was drying out), and every 2-3 days she gets wheat/fodder/corn.
Any ideas? The carrot she gets is store bought.

Perhaps someone can give a more detailed answer, but I'd honesty just monitor her and keep an eye on her behavior--eating, drinking, and activity. I've seen one or two soft poos in my rabbits' cage before, I feel like it could be a fluke or something they ate to make it happen. So long as she doesn't get diarrhea again or start acting lethargic or anything else amiss, I'd assume she'll be fine. Especially if the rest of her poop is normal.

How big is the carrot she is getting? Carrots have a lot of sugar and should be fed sparingly or in small amounts to rabbits. For me, I don't give a lot of treats to my rabbits. They get a small piece of dried pineapple typically each morning because the enzymes in it help break down hair in their gut and it is also a small but fun treat for them. I'll switch it up and sometimes give them lettuce, other greenery, or a small piece of fruit or carrot if I have it.

Perhaps someone can give a more detailed answer, but I'd honesty just monitor her and keep an eye on her behavior--eating, drinking, and activity. I've seen one or two soft poos in my rabbits' cage before, I feel like it could be a fluke or something they ate to make it happen. So long as she doesn't get diarrhea again or start acting lethargic or anything else amiss, I'd assume she'll be fine. Especially if the rest of her poop is normal.

How big is the carrot she is getting? Carrots have a lot of sugar and should be fed sparingly or in small amounts to rabbits. For me, I don't give a lot of treats to my rabbits. They get a small piece of dried pineapple typically each morning because the enzymes in it help break down hair in their gut and it is also a small but fun treat for them. I'll switch it up and sometimes give them lettuce, other greenery, or a small piece of fruit or carrot if I have it.
It used to be a medium-small carrot but now she's given the bigger ones cuz she ate all small ones. I'd love to give her something like fodder beet but i don't have any. When i had turnips, she didn't want to eat them. She is a farm rabbit tbh. Btw can you tell me which veggies can she eat on a daily basis, not to eat grains and dry hay only?

+ It would be great if there were any for weight loss cuz she's overweight but i don't want her to be hungry.

+ It would be great if there were any for weight loss cuz she's overweight but i don't want her to be hungry.
What is the fodder?
how much wheat and fodder do you give her a day?
If she has enough hay she won’t starve so you don’t need to worry about that, it is worse for her to be overweight.

What is the fodder?
how much wheat and fodder do you give her a day?
If she has enough hay she won’t starve so you don’t need to worry about that, it is worse for her to be overweight.
Idk what do the fodder contain cuz the neighbour who keeps rabbits (not mixed ones like i have, but clear breed ones) gave me some. She gets a fistful of wheat or fodder or cob of corn (which she eats in few days as dry, mature corn isn't her favourite) about every 3 days. Sometimes i give her a few grains ow wheat as a treat, a tablespoon or two i think. Im worried about the hay as it isn't the best quality, as i said there is some straw-like mature grass, and isn't all green. Btw she doesn't eat much of it and doesn't lose weight. Is it a sign of her being overfed?

Idk what do the fodder contain cuz the neighbour who keeps rabbits (not mixed ones like i have, but clear breed ones) gave me some. She gets a fistful of wheat or fodder or cob of corn (which she eats in few days as dry, mature corn isn't her favourite) about every 3 days. Sometimes i give her a few grains ow wheat as a treat, a tablespoon or two i think. Im worried about the hay as it isn't the best quality, as i said there is some straw-like mature grass, and isn't all green. Btw she doesn't eat much of it and doesn't lose weight. Is it a sign of her being overfed?
Why doe you think she is over weight?
What sort of thing is the fodder? Is it a mix of grains?
If she is overweight then I would stop feeding her corn because that can be fattening.
No it is not a sign of being over fed, my rabbits only eat as much as they need no more then that, the hay I get isn’t green most of the time so I think it should be fine as long as she is eating some of it.
I sign of being over fed is if you find a lot of uneaten cecotropes.

Why doe you think she is over weight?
What sort of thing is the fodder? Is it a mix of grains?
If she is overweight then I would stop feeding her corn because that can be fattening.
No it is not a sign of being over fed, my rabbits only eat as much as they need no more then that, the hay I get isn’t green most of the time so I think it should be fine as long as she is eating some of it.
I sign of being over fed is if you find a lot of uneaten cecotropes.
The fodder is "pellets", i think that's what you call it. These small, long cylinders. I didn't ever find any cecotropes. I see her a few times a day eating a bit of hay. She sometimes eats/chews straw from her bedding and the hay thar fell out of the feeder, but she doesn't eat that much hay so i'd have to give it every day, or even every few days. Tbh she gets corn rarer than wheat and fodder. And I think she's overweight cuz of her double chin, and when she sits i can't see her legs cuz of the fold of fat. Generally speaking she even looks fat.
1611851932075.png

The fodder is "pellets", i think that's what you call it. These small, long cylinders. I didn't ever find any cecotropes. I see her a few times a day eating a bit of hay. She sometimes eats/chews straw from her bedding and the hay thar fell out of the feeder, but she doesn't eat that much hay so i'd have to give it every day, or even every few days. Tbh she gets corn rarer than wheat and fodder. And I think she's overweight cuz of her double chin, and when she sits i can't see her legs cuz of the fold of fat. Generally speaking she even looks fat.View attachment 2506217
The double chin is called a dewlap and is normal for females and some males have them, the best way to tell if a rabbit is overweight to feel their spine you should feel slight bumps.
she does not look fat to me, but I would need a better picture with out the wire in the way to really see if she looks fat.
heres a picture of one of my rabbits who has a dewlap.
76004611-D884-4AE5-B122-E80572B9AB26.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom