rabbit peeing on owner

My last rabbit, Hank, was 13 1/2 when he died. He was always healthy and active, until the last few months. Then he started to have trouble getting around.

SO are they just sort of nasty, then, and take to spraying for some reason?
I mean rabbits in general, not neccessarily your individual critter.

Last edited:
Spraying doesn't necessarily mean a nasty rabbit. I had the sweetest buck ever but he'd spray my husband any chance he got. Generally it's usually a buck thing and they will spray each other if they are in side by side cages. Pretty much announcing their presence as a breeding male and marking their turf. If a doe does it it's for a similar reason, telling everyone in the area that it's her space.
My goats do something similar, the bucks pee on their beards and the backs of their front legs. And it's the same thing as a male dog marking his territory.

All you have to do for a pet rabbit is have him neutered. Like with dogs. I think Hank was around 6 years old when we had him done. He fell in love with our cat. One day he circled her and sprayed. We took him into the vet for neutering and never had a problem again.

I think alot of it is situational, I had a neutered rescue here who still thought it was great to spray me.....Needless to say I was so happy when I found the perfect home that loved him spraying and all LOL!

Wouldn't help me, all my boys are breeding/show stock, so neutering would be out for me. Just a bottom cage and the highest urine guards I can find take care of most of it. And well, if it hits my shoes that's not TOO bad. At least it's not in my face or hair that way!
sickbyc.gif

Well after reading this, Ill side with "nasty."
Any animal that routinely urinates on me, each other and whatever happens to be in the vicinity qualifies as nasty.

I mean, I can deal with that, should I want rabbits.
In a back yard they might even be seen as a more"normal" critter, a good side line to chickens and, of course, a good source of protein.
But you cant really sugar coat piss-nasty. Sorry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom