rabbit peeing on owner

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by treeclimber233, Jul 6, 2008.

1. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    A friend asked me a question about her rabbit that I could not answer. Maybe someone here can help me. She has a rabbit that is 6 1/2 years old, spayed and previously litterbox trained. her rabbit has recently started peeing outside of the litterbox (and on her) and she want to know why her rabbit is not using the litterbox now. Any suggestions?

2. MissDeb

MissDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Mat-su Alaska
    Urinary tract infection would be my first suspicion. 6 1.2 years is a pretty good age for a rabbit, could be many things.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    A dirty litter box would also cause them to look to peeing somewhere else.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Any competition for the litter box at the house?? Have they got a cat, too??

5. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    My guess too, urinary tract infection or something similar. Something is causing incontinence, I've rarely had adults pee on me and I handle lots of my rabbits daily. Only very young kits do that really. And the pain of urination can make them change routine. I would think some antibiotics might be needed. I've never tried it myself but maybe giving the rabbit some dried cranberries? Just watch that it's not too much to cause soft stools.

6. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Please have it checked for a urinary tract infection; but isn't that kind of old for a rabbit? Maybe it's senile.

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Thank God it's female. I have a buck that sprays me every single time I go in the run with him.

8. goldensunriseranch

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I've seen some people with rabbits living up to 10 years and even older if they are well cared for inside rabbits. Rabbits living outdoors though live about half that time, and often less. If it's financially possible I would say also have a vet do a urine culture and see if that turns up anything. If the rabbit gets alot of calcium (like it's being fed alot of alfalfa all the time), then it could also be urinary stones. Apple cider vinegar in the water might help if it's that, it raises the ph and helps dissolve the stones. Especially if the urine dries whitish that could be the culprit. [​IMG]

9. goldensunriseranch

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Bucks spraying is the worst! I've even had one mature doe that does that, flings it at me. Needless to say she now has been demoted to a ground level cage. Not to change the subject! I gotta run, hope bunny gets better soon!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    6.5 years? Aint that old for a rabbit?
    Maybe it needs a Depends. Im just sayin'...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by