Rabbit questions

My friend is having problems with a sick rabbit, not exactly sure about the details.
Rabbits are good at hiding symptoms, so if he's showing any it could be bad. Is the vet an option?
There are a lot of possibilities as of what it could be.
Can you ask your friend the following please?
Is it an indoor or outdoor rabbit? Is he eating? How long has he been sick? Exactly what issues is he having? Has he been eating? How old is he?

Ok, I have spoken with my friend and gotten the following answers:
No, they can't take the rabbit to the vet because the clinics aren't open due to covid.
The rabbit is mainly indoor, though she is sometimes allowed outside for exercise. That happens about once a month.
Yes, she is eating.
They just noticed the symptoms today, not sure how long she has been sick.
The rabbit has diaria.
The reason my friend is so worried is that she had another rabbit with the same symptom, and it died a few days after she noticed.
The rabbit is somewhere in between three and five years.

Ok, I have spoken with my friend and gotten the following answers:
No, they can't take the rabbit to the vet because the clinics aren't open due to covid.
The rabbit is mainly indoor, though she is sometimes allowed outside for exercise. That happens about once a month.
Yes, she is eating.
They just noticed the symptoms today, not sure how long she has been sick.
The rabbit has diaria.
The reason my friend is so worried is that she had another rabbit with the same symptom, and it died a few days after she noticed.
The rabbit is somewhere in between three and five years.
These are the most common causes:
Diet (overload of carbohydrates and/or insufficient indigestible fiber) Inappropriate antibiotic use (many antibiotics are not safe for the rabbit's GI tract) Toxins from the environment such as heavy metal, toxic plants, etc.

I would ask them to call a vet and at least see what they think. But, I would feed nothing but hay. Generally you'd want to increase the fiber in her diet.

Back
Top Bottom