Rabbit raid?

Quote:
I couldn't see markings on all the cages but many of them have pink or blue plastic close pins or 2x4 hospital employe style name badges clipped to the cages. And there seams to be marking on the feeders to.
http://hphotos-ash4.fbcdn.net/331136_10150266612651918_664006917_7731068_7131934_o.jpg

http://hphotos-ash4.fbcdn.net/326149_10150266609026918_664006917_7730975_6298117_o.jpg

http://hphotos-ash4.fbcdn.net/334788_10150266608421918_664006917_7730957_3540129_o.jpg

Edited to add the pictures.

Nasty, disgusting cages...

Quote:
I couldn't see markings on all the cages but many of them have pink or blue plastic close pins or 2x4 hospital employe style name badges clipped to the cages. And there seams to be marking on the feeders to.
http://hphotos-ash4.fbcdn.net/331136_10150266612651918_664006917_7731068_7131934_o.jpg

http://hphotos-ash4.fbcdn.net/326149_10150266609026918_664006917_7730975_6298117_o.jpg

http://hphotos-ash4.fbcdn.net/334788_10150266608421918_664006917_7730957_3540129_o.jpg

Edited to add the pictures.

I see the barn is filled with junk. I see cages in pic #2 that need a fur scrub. However, from the very little I can see, the rabbits look good, drop pans as there should be. Cages do get worn with time but they are not "dirty" because they are worn. Case in point:

14951_img_3545.jpg

14951_img_3544.jpg

These are NEWLY built condos from old cage wire. Not in the best shape, but they do the job.

ETA: Good grief I love that bun. His name is Legacy. He is stinky
lol.png

Last edited:
Yes, everyone has different standards of animal care and how large and clean a cage should be, to be humane.
I've seen a lot of pics..even here on BYC ,that make me cringe.
I wont give my opinion on people that stick rabbits in small cages... not even going there...
lol.png

Quote:
Why do you think we have two story condos? The one with the cage on top is now a condo too.

ALOT of rabbit breeders house their rabbits in small cages. I know how I feel about it, so I don't. I also let each of them out for at least 2 hours a day. If one or two doesn't get a turn, they get double time the next day.

I can tell you that the wire on the condos does get gunked with wool. We use a BBQ brush about once a quarter to remove it. Too much work otherwise, and it really isn't harming them. It's pretty solid gunked on. Not loose enough to cause wool block.

Quote:
Why do you think we have two story condos? The one with the cage on top is now a condo too.

ALOT of rabbit breeders house their rabbits in small cages. I know how I feel about it, so I don't. I also let each of them out for at least 2 hours a day. If one or two doesn't get a turn, they get double time the next day.

I can tell you that the wire on the condos does get gunked with wool. We use a BBQ brush about once a quarter to remove it. Too much work otherwise, and it really isn't harming them. It's pretty solid gunked on. Not loose enough to cause wool block.

Yeah Debi..i know your cages are 2 story cages... i like them! Ken did a good job on them...

Quote:

Yeah Debi..i know your cages are 2 story cages... i like them! Ken did a good job on them...

Yeah he did, and he did it from almost nothing. He is very resourceful.

Quote:
Completely agree!
smile.png
I usually just keep quiet on threads like this because I have a complete different view from a lot of people.

The cages are dirty and small and I can't see any hay.. maybe she is uneducated on rabbit care, I don't know, but I'm glad she's out of business.

Also, she's not breeding for good reason ( improving the breed) if she's breeding sick rabbits, which is what it looks like from some pics of the rabbits. As if rabbits aren't already delicate and full of health problems as it is from bad breeding. So basically she's the same as a puppy mill.

Metal rusts no matter what care you give it. Rabbit urine is very strong and it will cause the wire to rust out quickly. If she has a buck like DS had that loved to run around his cage and spray pee everywhere it happens.

If the rabbit is molting you could scrub that cage everyday and it will still be covered with fur. Same goes for a nesting cage for a doe will tear out the fur on her body to build a nest for her kits.

If you are basing your opinion on the second picture go back and look at the first and third picture.
The second picture has older cages which show their age and use. The first and third show to be newer. Fresh wood shavingings at the bottom, yes rabbits are pooping machines.

as for using cloths pins that is better then ribbons. Takes longer for the rabbits to chew through them.

I'm reserving judgement as there is no way to know the facts unless we were actually there. However;

IF those really are her cages she should be ashamed of herself; teaching children that taking care of animals like that is ok. IT"S NOT.

Even if those cages are old, which is fine, they are filthy. Even IF the cages were clean the barn IS filthy. I would NEVER keep animals in those conditions, livestock or otherwise. That's just cruel, not to mention has health risks, and is totally unacceptable.

Some of my rabbitry pictures.
SAM_1051.jpg

61023_img_1366-1.jpg

SAM_1742.jpg

61023_sam_0828.jpg

61023_sam_0829.jpg

61023_sam_0824.jpg

SAM_1152-1.jpg

61023_sam_0902.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I am going through the molt thing right now and I CANNOT keep it clean. I gave up. Once a week is gonna have to be good enough. I am gonna take her in this weekend and harvest the rest of the wool.

Back
Top Bottom