Rabbit sinus irritation

Jakesnyder

Hatching
Mar 12, 2019
Hi I am new to the forum but not to raising rabbits. I have some rabbits that I had moved to my basement about a month ago to kindle. The basement does have cobwebs and doesnt have real good ventilation but I keep the ammonia smell down to almost nothing. Recently I noticed them sneezing off and on. Sometimes like once a minute to maybe once every 5 minutes. I immediately thought snuffles. I went outside to the rest of my herd and heard 1 of my newest rabbits sneeze. They do not sneeze consistantly.
I am not finding any nasal or eye discharge at all. There sneezing is dry sounding. No noises when breathing. But my one Californian and some of her 3 week old babies have some irritation up there nose. If you look up it it is red.
Please some help. Could the rabbits have snuffles? Could the air be too dry for them?

Hi I am new to the forum but not to raising rabbits. I have some rabbits that I had moved to my basement about a month ago to kindle. The basement does have cobwebs and doesnt have real good ventilation but I keep the ammonia smell down to almost nothing. Recently I noticed them sneezing off and on. Sometimes like once a minute to maybe once every 5 minutes. I immediately thought snuffles. I went outside to the rest of my herd and heard 1 of my newest rabbits sneeze. They do not sneeze consistantly.
I am not finding any nasal or eye discharge at all. There sneezing is dry sounding. No noises when breathing. But my one Californian and some of her 3 week old babies have some irritation up there nose. If you look up it it is red.
Please some help. Could the rabbits have snuffles? Could the air be too dry for them?
What is the humidity level? I doubt it is snuffles, but it's possible. Can we get pics of the babies noses? Can you get a video of the sneezing? Ammonia is not the cause if you keep it low. What breed is the new rabbit? Was your new rabbit bought or born? How old is each rabbit sneezing? Did the sneezing Californian have any contact with the new rabbit?
To post a video here:
  1. Take video and post to YouTube
  2. Get the link
  3. Paste into a post and post.

Not sure on humidity level. The new bunnies were bought. They are flemish giant mix. There could have been some indirect contact. I cant get a clear picture right away but I will try to figure how to get a video uploaded later on.
The bunnies are shaking there heads fairly often and scratching there heads. No mites. It is some kind of irritation.
The newest bought one is 9 weeks old. I have one 6 month old Californian with 3 week old kits, 1 2 year old dutch with week old kits. Possibly one mini rex. I guess if it's that hard to tell it's probably not worth worrying about. I'm not 100% sure about any others. There is no obvious signs on any others.

Not sure on humidity level. The new bunnies were bought. They are flemish giant mix. There could have been some indirect contact. I cant get a clear picture right away but I will try to figure how to get a video uploaded later on.
The bunnies are shaking there heads fairly often and scratching there heads. No mites. It is some kind of irritation.
The newest bought one is 9 weeks old. I have one 6 month old Californian with 3 week old kits, 1 2 year old dutch with week old kits. Possibly one mini rex. I guess if it's that hard to tell it's probably not worth worrying about. I'm not 100% sure about any others. There is no obvious signs on any others.
Okay:
Are the kits sneezing?
What is the irritation?
Are they scratching ears or head?
Are they cocking their heads or rolling over?
Are they standing straight up?

The kits are not sneezing that I can tell. They are scratching there ears and there head. The kits do cock there heads a little as there running around. I am not sure what can be irritating them. Maybe dust? I was thinking of moving them out to the garage. But I dont want them around anyone else incase it is something contagious. I've never had any issues before. The ammonia was a little high maybe a week or 2 ago. The air was pretty stagnant as well. I since cleaned up and put a fan on low to help circulate the air a little bit. (Its not blowing directly on them) But it wasnt anything crazy high. Does it sound like something serious or am I over reacting.
They have been sneezing for about a week.

The kits are not sneezing that I can tell. They are scratching there ears and there head. The kits do cock there heads a little as there running around. I am not sure what can be irritating them. Maybe dust? I was thinking of moving them out to the garage. But I dont want them around anyone else incase it is something contagious. I've never had any issues before. The ammonia was a little high maybe a week or 2 ago. The air was pretty stagnant as well. I since cleaned up and put a fan on low to help circulate the air a little bit. (Its not blowing directly on them) But it wasnt anything crazy high. Does it sound like something serious or am I over reacting.
They have been sneezing for about a week.
Do you use dry straw or wood chip as bedding? Irratation and redness sounds like a dust reaction. I wouldn't overreact unless there starts to be discharge.

Right now I'm using alfalfa for there nesting material. I know it's expensive but I was out of regular hay. It's not real dusty but there are cobwebs. I didnt know if the basement is the problem because of the rabbit outside that is sneezing a little. It hasn't spread to any others and it doesnt seam to be getting much worse

Back
Top Bottom