Rabbit with flaky ears

xanthin1

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 18, 2012
Hi, anyone ever seen this? We raise meat rabbits for about 2 years now. I have dealt with ear mites before, but there are no crusty scabs in her ear canal. Just weird flaky scales inside her ears (also some minor dandruff like flaker on the fur on her side). I had a rabbit with fur mites a few months ago, which I used ivermectin very successfully to treat, but that rabbit had no contact with this one, and is even in a different cage altogether. Could this also be fur mites? any help would be appreciated. We live in a very rural area with no rabbit vet anywhere close by.

Hi, anyone ever seen this? We raise meat rabbits for about 2 years now. I have dealt with ear mites before, but there are no crusty scabs in her ear canal. Just weird flaky scales inside her ears (also some minor dandruff like flaker on the fur on her side). I had a rabbit with fur mites a few months ago, which I used ivermectin very successfully to treat, but that rabbit had no contact with this one, and is even in a different cage altogether. Could this also be fur mites? any help would be appreciated. We live in a very rural area with no rabbit vet anywhere close by.
Ear Mites---put a few drops of baby oil on this and in the ear. And it will get better in a few days. Untreated---it gets worse and the rabbit dies.

No you do not need to go get high priced ear drops. baby oil, mineral oil will work great.

Last edited:
Looks like ear mites to me too. I would recommend treating with Ivermectin. I've used it on my rabbits for ear mites and fur mites and it seems to work well.

Last edited:
Looks like ear mites to me too. I would recommend treating with Ivermectin. I've used it on my rabbits for ear mites and fur mites and it seems to work well.

I Agree Ivermectin will for sure work(I have been told) if he has some, but as I posted----the poster for sure does not need to go buy a expensive bottle of any thing if he has mineral oil or baby oil. They work perfect----I only been raising rabbits since 1977 and have only ever used what I mentioned---well I did use cooking oil a couple times.

This is what our new Holland lip has as well. Looks similar. What would you all recommend to do? What is it?

Attachments

• FDC07EA1-FD20-412B-8289-BD55A6AEFDCD.jpeg
    FDC07EA1-FD20-412B-8289-BD55A6AEFDCD.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 11
Vinegar and olive oil will do the trick. Irrigate and clean the ears with vinegar, then put 6 drops of oil in each ear every day for 3-4 days.

You'll also need to clean and wipe down the cage with vinegar - including food and water dishes so that your rabbit doesn't keep infecting itself. If you have cats/dogs you might consider treating them as well.

How often do I wipe down the cage. We just put him in this cage for the first time today. So once I’ve treated it and it’s gone can I stop wiping it down but otherwise wipe daily? Also I’m using fleece blanket for bedding, should I wash that daily in hot water?

Vinegar and olive oil will do the trick. Irrigate and clean the ears with vinegar, then put 6 drops of oil in each ear every day for 3-4 days.

You'll also need to clean and wipe down the cage with vinegar - including food and water dishes so that your rabbit doesn't keep infecting itself. If you have cats/dogs you might consider treating them as well.
Also what do you think it is and how do I treat the dogs/cat? Same way?

Also what do you think it is and how do I treat the dogs/cat? Same way?
It's ear mites and animals who are in close contact will often pass them to each other...and yes, you can treat all your animals the same way. That flaky skin contains mites and mite eggs, when your rabbit scratches its ears and/or shakes its head, they get dispersed. To make it harder for them to get dispersed, after you've put the drops in the ears, massage oil into the flaky part of the ears as it will help to coat and smother the mites. You'll need to keep your rabbits cage and food dishes very clean in order to relieve your rabbit of the mite problem quickly. In about a week, irrigate and clean the ears again to remove the dead mites/eggs.

It's ear mites and animals who are in close contact will often pass them to each other...and yes, you can treat all your animals the same way. That flaky skin contains mites and mite eggs, when your rabbit scratches its ears and/or shakes its head, they get dispersed. To make it harder for them to get dispersed, after you've put the drops in the ears, massage oil into the flaky part of the ears as it will help to coat and smother the mites. You'll need to keep your rabbits cage and food dishes very clean in order to relieve your rabbit of the mite problem quickly. In about a week, irrigate and clean the ears again to remove the dead mites/eggs.
How do you irrigate the ear? Can people get this? Sorry we are very new to rabbits!

Back
Top Bottom