Rabbits, Again. Looking for Ideas for Managing Heat This Summer

Vadard

Songster
Sep 6, 2019
Gulf Coast
I raised rabbits (silver foxes) in NC several years ago, and it was mostly successful. Looking back, the only negative thing I recall about my setup was that heat was an issue. I put frozen bottles in the cages to help, but man they looked hot.

Now I live in south Mississippi, which is way hotter than where I was in NC. I’d love to raise rabbits again, but only if I can keep them cool enough. I’m definitely going with one of the heat tolerant breeds (Cali or NZ, most likely).

I’ve got a good spot for them. North slope of a big hill with live oaks all around them. It’ll be the coolest seat on our farm this summer, but still pretty hot. I think my options are either an outdoor hutch with a fan for ventilation, or an insulated shed with a window unit.

Does that sound crazy? Any better ideas out there? I’d love to hear from any folks down here in TX, LA, MS, AL, or GA (or other hot places) who are raising rabbits in the heat.

Thanks!

I raised rabbits (silver foxes) in NC several years ago, and it was mostly successful. Looking back, the only negative thing I recall about my setup was that heat was an issue. I put frozen bottles in the cages to help, but man they looked hot.

Now I live in south Mississippi, which is way hotter than where I was in NC. I’d love to raise rabbits again, but only if I can keep them cool enough. I’m definitely going with one of the heat tolerant breeds (Cali or NZ, most likely).

I’ve got a good spot for them. North slope of a big hill with live oaks all around them. It’ll be the coolest seat on our farm this summer, but still pretty hot. I think my options are either an outdoor hutch with a fan for ventilation, or an insulated shed with a window unit.

Does that sound crazy? Any better ideas out there? I’d love to hear from any folks down here in TX, LA, MS, AL, or GA (or other hot places) who are raising rabbits in the heat.

Thanks!
I had Holland lop and a Himalayan rabbit that both stayed outside under the shade of our barn. Did fine, but we always put frozen water bottles in their cage which they laid up against to keep themselves cool. Misters with cold water could help or big frozen jugs depending on their pen

Shade, fans, and plenty of ventilation should take care of most of your problem. We used to freeze water in gallon milk jugs and put those in the hutch. I have also heard of people putting gunny sacks filled with ice in the cage for the rabbits to lie on. I have no idea how practical misters would be but you might want to look into those, too.

Back
Top Bottom