Rabbits and chickens Together

doublejfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Modoc, SC
My Flemish giant rabbit loves to hang out in the run with the girls. I put him in there from time to time. I was considering combining their habitats. Thoughts? Is it ok for them to eat each others food? Does anyone do this?

from what i've been told... rabbits should not eat corn... so no they cant eat each others food however your chickens can eat the rabbit food... mine do... i have rabbits in hanging cages inside my fenced chicken run... i've also been told that chickens like to peck at rabbit eyes... again.. the only thing i know for certain is chickens will eat rabbit food.. everything else is second hand information...

i think its a great idea. flemish giants are so cool. i had one years ago and think i am ready for another one now so i would do put it with my girls. my boy ate corn all the time and in fact corn was in the rabbit pellets. i am not saying corn is good for them but my guy did eat it.
smile.png
but hey if you have the time i think it would be awesome if you posted a picture of your flemish.
smile.png

Yeah Thumper the rabbit is cool. I can't get the pic upload thingy to work right on my driod but as soon ask can get to my PC I will post a pic of him. He is grayish silver and is huge and still growing. I would say he weighs about 10 pounds. And I have heard that they get up to 15 or 20. I love his ears and those huge feet.

A friend of ours has a rabbit in with his chickens. He is very old, and mostly blind. He does very well and the chickens do not mind. He eats checken food, both layer pellets and scratch feed. The problem comes from his rabbit habits. He does on occassion burrow under the wire to get out. he always comes back. They just have to check behind him to close up the holes when he comes back. That is why you put wire floors on rabbit hutches that sit on the ground.

Quote:
He comes back? Humm. Do rabbits have that instinct like chickens? My birds dissapear but come back at dusk. Could I "free range" him? Just a thought

I have a mini lop in with my chickens, they get along great. I make sure the rabbit has her own space away from the chickens and I keep her food in her space and gave her a water bottle (though she likes to share with the chickens).

I've not caught her eating the cracked corn, but I feed a lot of fresh produce and she gets a lot of outside time.

ours could stay together - We have a raised coop for the chickens, and under the coop we enclosed it and put the rabbits in it. Both areas have a doorway of equal size (about 6x9) that leads to an enclosed run that they both share. The doors are left open and the rabbits always stay at in the bottom and the girls always go up.

Nothing to stop them from going into each others area - but they just don't seem to. Don't know - just works

Back
Top Bottom