rabbits and chickens?

chickmchickie

Songster
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
Ely Mn
Can you add rabbits to a chicken run and let them in the coop? Someone i know has 2 pet rabbits and asked me, i have no clue so i am asking you, the wise ones lol
thanks

Personally I wouldn't. Rabbits would get chicken poop all over their feet and they clean themselves off like a cat does, so they would be ingesting that. Also I'm not sure rabbits should be eating chicken feed.

I told her i think the chickens might peek at the bunny too .. they do run together in the barn tho.. maybe that is why she was thinking about fencing them all in..She is joining here so she will post herself when she does.. I told her it wasn't a good idea. Her rabbits, chickens and goats all run lose in the barn..

I raise meat rabbits.. so I keep them in their hutches/cages mainly because i need to know who is bred to who and when kits are due.. I also have to wonder if the adult chickens would peck the new born bunnies.. I know chickens can be opportunistic and will eat small rodents, lizards and such. to me a new born baby bunny would be just too tempting.. not to mention I don't think momma bunny would be too happy with the chickens scratching through her nest

I had a foster rabbit in with my chickens. He actually enjoyed chasing the chickens around
lau.gif
It is so funny to watch. My hens and rooster where afraid of him and wouldn't dare mess with the guy. After about three days him and the rooster became best buds. The rabbit would eat of the feeder with everyone and they all learned to drink out of the water bottles. One thing you need to keep in mind is that the rabbit will pick one spot to pee and poo. If this is in your coop it will make a BIG MESS! It can also ruin your coop floor and even parts of the wall. One thing you could do is littler train them to use a box in the coop, I could never get a rabbit litter trained myself
idunno.gif
I have had two different rabbits in with them and each time they respected them. My only problem while we had them was the mess. The rabbits themselves don't get to messy but they can create a mess, oh and they love to chew on wood coops
barnie.gif

Ok i will pass this one.. I had 2 bunnys in the house and they were litter trained but one day the kids were playing a video game and the rabbit wanted attention and wasn't getting it so with in 1/10 of a sec it bite throw the cord from the xbox to the controller.. the kids learn to make sure the bunnys came first and i learn no more bunnys in the house, so we dont have any now lol.. they both passed away one at 9 one at 10 years old.

Back
Top Bottom