rabbits and winter

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wendy'sChicksRock, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Hi I have 2 mini rex bunnies and was wondering how cold hardy they are. This is our first winter ( michigan) and they will be in the garden shed/chicken coop. Do they need a heat lamp or will they be ok ..

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Rabbits tolerate cold much better than heat. Just make sure they re in a draft free area, and they will be fine,

3. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Give them a big mound of straw in the shed so they can burrow in when they feel cold. They will love it! when I do this for my bun he burrows in right away and starts making it the way he wants it. And make sure they have a draft free area.
    Also you will have to keep up on the water. It freezes Very Fast (I'm in Wisconsin) when it is below zero, I was changing the water several times a day. I use Stainless steel Bowls for water in winter much easier than trying to thaw a water bottle.

4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Both reccomendations nailed it, plus it wouldn't seem this way but, rabbits need to drink more water in the winter so don't let their water freeze up.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Provide a dry, draft free coop plus a sleeping box or solid floor covered with hay for bedding, and they will be fne. They may urinate and defecate in the bedding so change it frequently. Rabbits are far more cold hardy than they are heat resistant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by