Rabbits as Sacrificial Loss Prevention

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AB Gamebird Farmer, Jun 12, 2017.

1. AB Gamebird Farmer

AB Gamebird Farmer Just Hatched

May 22, 2017
    Southern Alberta
    I hope my creepy title caught your attention.

Back story:
    Since I am not a millionaire i didn't feel like buying hundreds of feet of chain link wire to build my pheasant, chicken and turkey enclosures. I used poultry wire which is real good for keeping poultry in.... while predators kill them.

options:
    a) replace all chicken wire with some kinda predator proof wire..... pfff not gonna happen.
    b) set traps for the selfish predators around my poultry infrastructure..... mmm they neighbour just bought a $1600.00 puppy so maybe not.
    c) hunt and kill local predators...... I have a job, aint nobody got time for that.
    d) breed rabbits and release many many of them around my poultry infrastructure in hopes that a predator choses to eat them rather than tear through the wire and eat my birds..... bingo, option d) it is!

so far the rabbits I have released remain within about 50 yards of my chicken coop. it is rather funny to watch them when they are being chased by both dumb dogs and rambunctious teenagers. the rabbits act like there is an invisible wall in a 50 yard radius of the chicken coop. Mind you, I have only released unwanted male rabbits thus far.

in the long term i'll be breeding my rabbits to be as slow and dumb as possible,

so, will this work? will the predators spare my birds and eat the rabbits I so graciously offer them?

Attached Files:

2. GGBEAR

GGBEAR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    Poor little bunnies!!!!!
    I'm not so sure this will work I lost my entire flock to a Fox attack 2 years ago and there are hundreds of bunnies looming around
    :fl:fl:duc

Wickedchicken6 likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It could prove to make your plot even more attractive to local predators, once word gets round

nenebynature, aart, dan26552 and 2 others like this.
  4. GGBEAR

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    Wow so like a predator hotspot

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Only a guess, but yeah. Guess once existing predators breed, the area may support a higher predator density

6. GGBEAR

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    Lol could turn into like the local McDonalds for predators then :lau
    Dine in or take out????:lau:lau:lau

7. AB Gamebird Farmer

AB Gamebird Farmer Just Hatched

May 22, 2017
    Southern Alberta
    it sucks that you are likely correct. but coyote pelts are worth about $100 each these days so i mean, you win some, you loose some.

8. kwhites634

kwhites634 Father Time Premium Member

There's a lot I'd like to say about what you're doing, but I don't want to get banned

9. GGBEAR

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    :duc:eek::eek::duc:eek::duc:confused::oops:

10. GGBEAR

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham

What are coyote pelts???
    Sorry not dumb just from uk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by