Rabbits Oh my.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lfoose, Jul 7, 2008.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    I have a couple of rabbits and would like to get them fixed. I called a couple of vets around here and they want anywhere from $115-200! For one!
    Ugh. My cats were cheaper....

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Yep - rabbits aren't cheap to neuter. I have a guinea pig and it's the same thing, but even more. They wanted $300...

And we only have one vet in my town that will even attempt the surgery.

3. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I went through the same thing. My bunny was spraying urine everywhere, including my face. Closest vet that would do it was 75mls away and wanted an office visit fee of 140$ and an additional 200$ for the surgery. I'm like, are you kidding me? I listed the pee sprayer here, craigslist, and in my paper. Noone would take him.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Rabbit stew is good eatin'.

5. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    I wish you were here! I work at a vet clinic and we charge $65 for neuters and $90 for spays. I don't know why other places charge such outlandish prices, the neuters are extremely easy and we have never had an issue with any of the rabbits we've done.
    Good luck with them!

6. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Quote:I agree!
    I must ask ,how did they get broken? [​IMG]

Sorry rain all day made me very bored!

[​IMG] Joe

7. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    I think we are going to see if the vets will tell us 'for sure' which bunney is which sex and then go w/the cheaper fix.

I remember when we got our cats done, we had a few at that time, we got some type of deal thru the county. They ended up being $30 a pc I think.

No rabbit stew-but I have threated to make a pair of gloves to match my coat....

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* These are house buns, I'm assuming?? Otherwise--separate cages.

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:it's easy to sex a rabbit.

lay the rabbit gently on it's back and 'hypnotize' it by petting it's head (not nose)

get a good look at it's rump. females have a line and boys have a circle. the (kind term here)male organ will protrude if you press gently.

also, wait a few weeks and the males have large (kind term again) sacks on their under area.
    not too may weeks together though, or your bill will sky rocket.

p.s. i had a doe that would unlock her cage, do the do and then get back in her cage and lock it. they are smarter than most dogs and some people!

10. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    I ended up giving my male "spraying" rabbit to my nieghbor...and he shot it a week later and gave it back...dead...I was confused...yet in my heart realived... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by