Hi! I don't know if you're still looking for advice, nor did I really read all the replies to the thread. HOWEVER: I'd still love to give a few personal tips and experiences and hopefully keep this short. ;) (And also hope that I'm not repeating anything)

I've had three bunnies, really. My mom got two a very long time ago when I was just a kid and didn't really take care of them. So realistically, I've been dealing with bunnies for about 8 years. (I've had my one bun, Lion, for that long too lol)

For feeding, you need to make sure they have unlimited timothy hay at all times. Other hays may be fine, but if its an older rabbit, stay away from alfalfa. Alfalfa is really only for rabbits about a year or two old or younger.

Pellets are more a supplement to them, really, then an actual food source. (they eat grasses and greens in the wild) I can't say the exact measurement, since I just use a random scoop and have learned what my own buns need, but I only give them pellets once a day in the morning.

As for veggies, I see lots of people giving their buns greens daily. I don't. They're more of a treat, especially since certain lettuces give my older bun (he's about 10) squishy poo, and fruits are high in sugars and should always be given sparingly.

As for living quarters, my buns are outside in a hutch. They're not as convenient to get at, but if they're close to your home, you can still have a good relationship with them! Unless you can't get outside that much. (You can also always bring them inside for brief periods of time, being certain that the bun is either house trained or good enough not to poo and pee)

Bunnies need exercise! If they can't run around your home, and regardless if they can, you could either try a pen (a dog pen works good) to set up in your yard or a harness and leash. I've never done the latter, and I know every bunny is different, so it depends if your bun would even tolerate that. But outside air is always good for them. :)

Rexes and Mini Rexes are adorable. I had a Mini Rex who had to be put down, and he got sick several times. Perhaps it was himself as an individual, but I also learned that Rexes are more prone to getting sore hocks. (A foot condition) So just a heads up there. (Peanut, my Mini Rex, had a minor case of this. It was more the fur got rubbed off his heels)

Sounds like you're looking for an entirely different breed, though, so you should be good. :)

Well, I'm hoping I helped a little bit, and I hope I didn't get too long winded.

You weren't long winded at all and definitely very helpful! Thank you for all the info!

You weren't long winded at all and definitely very helpful! Thank you for all the info!

Glad to help!

I also wanted to add something real quick I forgot to mention in my main post. I know that some people give their bunnies check-ups at the vet, but I've never done that before and I don't think it's needed. (Unless the bun is sick and you can't do anything) I've had my one bunny Lion for eight years and he hasn't ever been to the vet since the time I've owned him (except once when he was sick) and he's super healthy. He's only gotten sick twice, I think?

Unless your bun is prone to getting illnesses (like my Peanut) they're pretty hardy creatures and can look after themselves well, especially if you take good care of them.

But that's just my opinion. I know there are certain places that sometimes either use a bug spray or something happens that there are deadly diseases a bun can catch, and that's the only time that I think you should bring your bun to the vet to get the vaccines against it. (I know very little about these diseases, though, sorry. I've never had to deal with them)

Just wanted to add.

Glad to help!

I also wanted to add something real quick I forgot to mention in my main post. I know that some people give their bunnies check-ups at the vet, but I've never done that before and I don't think it's needed. (Unless the bun is sick and you can't do anything) I've had my one bunny Lion for eight years and he hasn't ever been to the vet since the time I've owned him (except once when he was sick) and he's super healthy. He's only gotten sick twice, I think?

Unless your bun is prone to getting illnesses (like my Peanut) they're pretty hardy creatures and can look after themselves well, especially if you take good care of them.

But that's just my opinion. I know there are certain places that sometimes either use a bug spray or something happens that there are deadly diseases a bun can catch, and that's the only time that I think you should bring your bun to the vet to get the vaccines against it. (I know very little about these diseases, though, sorry. I've never had to deal with them)

Just wanted to add.

That makes sense! I never took my previous bunny to the vet and he was fine (though I didn't have him long) plus I'm sure vets are expensive but then idk I'm like paranoid they could get some disease you wouldn't know about. Like most dogs and cats seem healthy too but vets could test for heartworm or stuff. But then again my vets haven't done a blood test on either the dog or the cat. (We have different ones for them ha) I think the one for the dog is scared of him cause he tried once and he snarled. Anyway, I'd be paranoid of stuff like that. But definitely not necessary, plenty of people don't take them to the vet. Do rabbits need vaccines though?

That makes sense! I never took my previous bunny to the vet and he was fine (though I didn't have him long) plus I'm sure vets are expensive but then idk I'm like paranoid they could get some disease you wouldn't know about. Like most dogs and cats seem healthy too but vets could test for heartworm or stuff. But then again my vets haven't done a blood test on either the dog or the cat. (We have different ones for them ha) I think the one for the dog is scared of him cause he tried once and he snarled. Anyway, I'd be paranoid of stuff like that. But definitely not necessary, plenty of people don't take them to the vet. Do rabbits need vaccines though?

I do the same -- only take a rabbit to the vet if it is ill. Some people think they need regular check-ups, but I'm not of that mindset. ("Don't fix it if it ain't broken.")

As to vaccines... no, rabbits in the US do not need or get vaccines. Those in the UK or Australia, on the other hand, have to vaccinate pet rabbits against things like myxomitosis. I believe there's a different issue in Australia that requires other vaccines.

Personally, I don't think so. Gimpy Quail above spoke of the disease I was thinking of. I knew it was in the UK, but I wasn't certain where it exactly could be.

Honestly, as long as your rabbits are never exposed to anything your certain is poisonous to them, they should be fine and there shouldn't be anything to worry about. I'm sure there are lists out there that say which plants and foods are bad for them, and which are good.

One big thing that comes to mind is rabbits should not eat grain. (It's bad for them) So don't buy any sort of 'commercial' rabbit pellets that have all the weird colored stuff in them and the grains. A timothy hay based pellet is ideally the best, its what I feed my buns. (I feed them Small Pet Select hay and pellets. I used to get them Purina pellets, I think the Mana Pro mix?)

In the UK, rabbits are vaccinated for Myxomatosis and Viral Hemorrhagic Disease. In Australia, the vaccine for VHD is available, but it's actually illegal to inoculate a rabbit against Myxo. Myxo turns up occasionally in rabbits on the west coast of the US, and there have been occasional outbreaks of VHD here, but no vaccine against either disease is approved for use in the US at this time.

A vaccine for Pasteurella became available in the US in 2013.

I do the same -- only take a rabbit to the vet if it is ill. Some people think they need regular check-ups, but I'm not of that mindset. ("Don't fix it if it ain't broken.")

As to vaccines... no, rabbits in the US do not need or get vaccines. Those in the UK or Australia, on the other hand, have to vaccinate pet rabbits against things like myxomitosis. I believe there's a different issue in Australia that requires other vaccines.

Personally, I don't think so. Gimpy Quail above spoke of the disease I was thinking of. I knew it was in the UK, but I wasn't certain where it exactly could be.

Honestly, as long as your rabbits are never exposed to anything your certain is poisonous to them, they should be fine and there shouldn't be anything to worry about. I'm sure there are lists out there that say which plants and foods are bad for them, and which are good.

One big thing that comes to mind is rabbits should not eat grain. (It's bad for them) So don't buy any sort of 'commercial' rabbit pellets that have all the weird colored stuff in them and the grains. A timothy hay based pellet is ideally the best, its what I feed my buns. (I feed them Small Pet Select hay and pellets. I used to get them Purina pellets, I think the Mana Pro mix?)

In the UK, rabbits are vaccinated for Myxomatosis and Viral Hemorrhagic Disease. In Australia, the vaccine for VHD is available, but it's actually illegal to inoculate a rabbit against Myxo. Myxo turns up occasionally in rabbits on the west coast of the US, and there have been occasional outbreaks of VHD here, but no vaccine against either disease is approved for use in the US at this time.

A vaccine for Pasteurella became available in the US in 2013.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Very helpful! What about rabies or lyme? Do rabbits not get those? Or mosquito born illnesses? That's interesting the Myxo vaccine is illegal in Australia! I wonder why? Is it a live vaccine?

What about Oxbow, Nutrena, and Sweet Meadow pellets? Are any of those okay?

Thanks for all the info everyone! Very helpful! What about rabies or lyme? Do rabbits not get those? Or mosquito born illnesses? That's interesting the Myxo vaccine is illegal in Australia! I wonder why?

Rabbits can get Lyme and Rabies; the problem is, there are no vaccines for them approved for use in rabbits. So, the only way to protect your rabbit is keep them from being exposed.

The reason the Myxo vaccine is illegal in Oz is because Myxo was introduced into the country decades ago to try to curb the exploding feral rabbit population, and it is still having some impact today. The concern is that a domestic rabbit that had been vaccinated might escape, and be able to convey resistance into the wild population.

It costs 6 x as much as the alfalfa-based feed that I have been using for 30+ years, which I have raised countless rabbits on, and fed to some rabbits their entire lives (up to 12+ years).:idunno

Last edited:
I have a little blue dutch doe. Sweet. You can give carrots but not toi often as they are sugary. Cabbage and things give painful gas bubbles in their tummies so give sparingly. Too much lettuce will give diarrhea and dehydrate. I give Stoney foid from the feed store daily and a pail full of grass I clip from the yard. Also everyday she gets a big sunflower leaf and some clover everyday. I give spinach every three days, turnip greens on three other days and sunday she will get a carrot. Make sure you talk to her and WATCH A VIDEO on how to pick her up as their spines are fragile. She will needs toys to toss and roll. And something to chew. No cedar, apple or any fruit tree wood that bear pits as those are toxic. Toss in some rose leaves once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom