I adopted one of my rabbits from the House Rabbit society, long while back now, but I think the fee was fifty dollars. I know I gave them $100, the extra was a donation, because I know how much the costs are just for the medical alone. Funny side note, this particular rabbit came to them already spayed, and they passed along her spay certificate to me. It turned out to be from the vet hospital where I worked! I know it cost over 200 to get that one spayed.

Our local chapter of the HRS tries to pair up all of the rabbits they rescue/take in (though even they have to admit they've had a few that simply wouldn't get along with another rabbit). In most cases, when you get one of their bonded pairs, there's one people-oriented, friendly rabbit, and one that couldn't care less about people (rabbits can be that way, no matter how hard you might try). You get a buddy for you, and a buddy for them; win-win, most of the time, anyway.

Thanks for all the replies everybody! It's very helpful. It's seeming like rescue is a great option! Plus I do like rescuing and saving animals. For dogs I like breeders because you have a better chance of knowing what you are going to get and can meet the parents plus have a health guarantee. That said, I do like rescuing animals and I think I will eventually adopt a dog or a few, but I can see how dog breeders have a purpose. Although I can see the purpose would be more so if you have a specific need like a competition dog for dog sports or a working dog like police dogs, guide dogs and other service dogs, search and rescue, herding, etc. Although rescues can do some of that too. For companions though which is what most people need I think rescue is a great option. Anyway, sorry for the novel, long story short, for some animals like dogs I can see where breeders would be useful or people who potentially don't want to deal with possible temperament, health or behavior issues (though obviously most rescues are great), but for most other animals like rabbits and cats and that sort of thing, rescuing seems like the best option.

Thanks for all the replies everybody! It's very helpful. It's seeming like rescue is a great option! Plus I do like rescuing and saving animals. For dogs I like breeders because you have a better chance of knowing what you are going to get and can meet the parents plus have a health guarantee. That said, I do like rescuing animals and I think I will eventually adopt a dog or a few, but I can see how dog breeders have a purpose. Although I can see the purpose would be more so if you have a specific need like a competition dog for dog sports or a working dog like police dogs, guide dogs and other service dogs, search and rescue, herding, etc. Although rescues can do some of that too. For companions though which is what most people need I think rescue is a great option. Anyway, sorry for the novel, long story short, for some animals like dogs I can see where breeders would be useful or people who potentially don't want to deal with possible temperament, health or behavior issues (though obviously most rescues are great), but for most other animals like rabbits and cats and that sort of thing, rescuing seems like the best option.
:goodpost:Yes it is good to get from a breeder for a lot of reasons like you just listed :) but I prefer adopting I have three rescue dogs one was in a back yard so long she had gotten heart worms it's awful what some people could do to there pets but she is heart worm free and is doing really well I love to give dogs new homes but some of them might cost money cuz you don't know who had them last but I don't mind it's so worth it. I'm happy you are getting a rabbit because they are so cute and fluffy I don't know how I ever lived with put them lol :giggood luck

:goodpost:Yes it is good to get from a breeder for a lot of reasons like you just listed :) but I prefer adopting I have three rescue dogs one was in a back yard so long she had gotten heart worms it's awful what some people could do to there pets but she is heart worm free and is doing really well I love to give dogs new homes but some of them might cost money cuz you don't know who had them last but I don't mind it's so worth it. I'm happy you are getting a rabbit because they are so cute and fluffy I don't know how I ever lived with put them lol :giggood luck

Aww that's awesome! Glad you saved her and got her healthy again! It's definitely awful what people do to animals! Rescues are great! I do think I'll probably own several rescues but I also have a lot of specific breeds I want to try lol so idk... but for companions which is why most people get dogs, they're great. Even if you wanted to do a sport, there are rescues with the drive for it. I saw some trick dogs at a festival recently that were all rescues. And my brother and his fiancé adopted a dog in February and she's amazing. Of course she was a puppy but still. And I know. A few other rescues too that are great so I definitely see the appeal and probably will rescue lots of dogs and/or at least foster

Aww that's awesome! Glad you saved her and got her healthy again! It's definitely awful what people do to animals! Rescues are great! I do think I'll probably own several rescues but I also have a lot of specific breeds I want to try lol so idk... but for companions which is why most people get dogs, they're great. Even if you wanted to do a sport, there are rescues with the drive for it. I saw some trick dogs at a festival recently that were all rescues. And my brother and his fiancé adopted a dog in February and she's amazing. Of course she was a puppy but still. And I know. A few other rescues too that are great so I definitely see the appeal and probably will rescue lots of dogs and/or at least foster
Thanks. Good luck I hope you find the breeds you are looking for I wish I could also foster dogs but with the three resues I have they will not let me lol I have tried to get other dogs but they are just not having it lol:p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom