Rabbits

Additionally, rabbits are very social! You'll probably be surprised once she warms up to you, they're just like cats, but more lovey! Once you get to that point, you'll see why free ranging is a great option. ;) With this in mind, make sure you have time to socialize with her daily, this will also pay off when she becomes the most social rabbit ever, and you end up taking her places with you. Honestly, if you put the time in, rabbits will end up being just like dogs. :D If you don't have the time to socialize with her, looking on your local shelter page at other rabbits for adoption is always a worthwhile idea, even if your just window shopping. You will have to integrate them just like chickens, though it will probably be harder since rabbits are very territorial. That doesn't mean they can't love each other in the end though!
Also, spaying and neutering. By spaying or neutering him or her, you may be able to reduce the risk of reproductive cancer. Similar situation as dogs. She will also potty train faster, and wont mark their territory as often. Territory marking will look like a few poops here and there, and spaying or neutering can help avoid that.
I think I covered everything this time. :p

Additionally, rabbits are very social! You'll probably be surprised once she warms up to you, they're just like cats, but more lovey! Once you get to that point, you'll see why free ranging is a great option. ;) With this in mind, make sure you have time to socialize with her daily, this will also pay off when she becomes the most social rabbit ever, and you end up taking her places with you. Honestly, if you put the time in, rabbits will end up being just like dogs. :D If you don't have the time to socialize with her, looking on your local shelter page at other rabbits for adoption is always a worthwhile idea, even if your just window shopping. You will have to integrate them just like chickens, though it will probably be harder since rabbits are very territorial. That doesn't mean they can't love each other in the end though!
Also, spaying and neutering. By spaying or neutering him or her, you may be able to reduce the risk of reproductive cancer. Similar situation as dogs. She will also potty train faster, and wont mark their territory as often. Territory marking will look like a few poops here and there, and spaying or neutering can help avoid that.
Thanks for the info! I think I'm keeping rabbits outside because of fur/dander. I will try to handle everyday so they will be social if I get rabbits.

What type of rabbits do you have?

As pets and for breeding
Since you are thinking of breeding, here are a few basic points:

It's usually best if each adult rabbit has its own pen (cage, hutch, exercise pen, fenced yard--whatever kind of thing you keep them in. Just plan on one per rabbit, plus a few extra for when the bunnies are ready to be weaned.)

Does want privacy when they are going to have bunnies, so they typically do not want to have another rabbit in their cage at that time. They tend to be quite territorial the rest of the time, too.

A doe can get pregnant again as soon as she finishes giving birth to a litter. If the buck is in the same pen, that will probably happen. But it is not particularly healthy for the doe if she gets pregnant again so soon.

Rabbits are good at chewing and digging, so that makes them good at escaping. This can lead to unplanned breedings. If a doe and a buck get together, even just for a minute, you should be ready for bunnies 31 days later, and provide the doe with a suitable nestbox several days beforehand. Bunnies born without a suitable nest tend to die, but nothing bad happens if you provide a nestbox for a doe who turns out to not be pregnant.

There is lots of advice online about feeding rabbits a diet based on timothy hay to prevent them getting too fat. This is meant for adult rabbits who are not pregnant or nursing. It is not suitable for growing bunnies or for does who are pregnant or nursing. Growing bunnies, and does who are in the last half of pregnancy or nursing their bunnies, need alfalfa-based rabbit pellets or something similar. Alfalfa hay can be good too.

Predators can be a big problem with rabbits. Putting cages or hutches inside a predator-proof enclosure may work better than trying to protect each one individually. Pet dogs and cats can be just as dangerous as wild animals, so remember to plan for them too.

Since you are thinking of breeding, here are a few basic points:

It's usually best if each adult rabbit has its own pen (cage, hutch, exercise pen, fenced yard--whatever kind of thing you keep them in. Just plan on one per rabbit, plus a few extra for when the bunnies are ready to be weaned.)

Does want privacy when they are going to have bunnies, so they typically do not want to have another rabbit in their cage at that time. They tend to be quite territorial the rest of the time, too.

A doe can get pregnant again as soon as she finishes giving birth to a litter. If the buck is in the same pen, that will probably happen. But it is not particularly healthy for the doe if she gets pregnant again so soon.

Rabbits are good at chewing and digging, so that makes them good at escaping. This can lead to unplanned breedings. If a doe and a buck get together, even just for a minute, you should be ready for bunnies 31 days later, and provide the doe with a suitable nestbox several days beforehand. Bunnies born without a suitable nest tend to die, but nothing bad happens if you provide a nestbox for a doe who turns out to not be pregnant.

There is lots of advice online about feeding rabbits a diet based on timothy hay to prevent them getting too fat. This is meant for adult rabbits who are not pregnant or nursing. It is not suitable for growing bunnies or for does who are pregnant or nursing. Growing bunnies, and does who are in the last half of pregnancy or nursing their bunnies, need alfalfa-based rabbit pellets or something similar. Alfalfa hay can be good too.

Predators can be a big problem with rabbits. Putting cages or hutches inside a predator-proof enclosure may work better than trying to protect each one individually. Pet dogs and cats can be just as dangerous as wild animals, so remember to plan for them too.
I think I will start with three rabbits each in there own separate enclosure. Thanks for the info.đź‘Ť

Back
Top Bottom