Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters

Questions yesterday and today. I saw what appears to me as blood I can't tell where it's coming from. One was near food bowl. Mom wouldn't really go there's the other spot possible. Could kits bleed these early or is it albino. Do I need her seen by a vet.
How old are the kits and has the mom been exposed to any other males?

Does anyone have any Netherlands Dwarfs? I kinda wanna know if they are as "small" as people make them out to be.
The breed standard states a maximum showable weight of 2 1/2 pounds; juniors must weigh at least a pound to be shown. I have owned/bred Dwarfs that weighed as little as 1 1/2 lbs full grown. Though I have seen Dwarfs that only weighed a pound when full grown, I have never owned one, nor would I breed one. All of the one pound Dwarfs I have ever seen have looked dainty, and the correct type for a Netherland Dwarf is sturdy but small - kind of like a Shetland Pony.

The breed standard states a maximum showable weight of 2 1/2 pounds; juniors must weigh at least a pound to be shown. I have owned/bred Dwarfs that weighed as little as 1 1/2 lbs full grown. Though I have seen Dwarfs that only weighed a pound when full grown, I have never owned one, nor would I breed one. All of the one pound Dwarfs I have ever seen have looked dainty, and the correct type for a Netherland Dwarf is sturdy but small - kind of like a Shetland Pony.
how big are they inch wise?

She's only been around one male she bread with. The other ones have there own box and cage in other room.kits where born dec 28th

To Tracyjg
I am newer to chickens but years with rabbits. In the wild a mother rabbit will go out days after giving birth to breed again. She will abandon th e current litter a few days before giving birth to new litter (yes those cute little ones running around your yard are probably on their own now) to create a new nest and be ready for the second litter. I am not saying it may not run the mother down a bit but the species is designed to handle it. Some commercial meat rabbit breeders will work their does that hard for production.

Another note if you are planning a litter in the future and know you will be doing unusual (for her) while the babies are young (under week usually) the mother may kill the whole litter. These are not like dogs or wolves. In the rabbit world, the survival of the species depends on the breeding mother and not the babies, as she makes more every month. Not every rabbit will do this, but I have had some that would if they got upset enough.

Last edited:
To Tracyjg
I am newer to chickens but years with rabbits. In the wild a mother rabbit will go out days after giving birth to breed again. She will abandon th e current litter a few days before giving birth to new litter (yes those cute little ones running around your yard are probably on their own now) to create a new nest and be ready for the second litter. I am not saying it may not run the mother down a bit but the species is designed to handle it. Some commercial meat rabbit breeders will work their does that hard for production.

Another note if you are planning a litter in the future and know you will be doing unusual (for her) while the babies are young (under week usually) the mother may kill the whole litter. These are not like dogs or wolves. In the rabbit world, the survival of the species depends on the breeding mother and not the babies, as she makes more every month. Not every rabbit will do this, but I have had some that would if they got upset enough.
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom