Rabbits

BantamRun

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Gaylord, MI
Can anyone tell me what kind of rabbit this is? It was given to me today and I was told it was a Mini Rex. I am not sure of the age but she weighs 7.5 pounds and she feels a little under weight. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that a little big for a Mini Rex? Also her fur does not look or feel like that described for a Mini or Standard Rex. Here is a couple pics of her. Thanks for any help or info you can provide.

She's definitely not full Rex because the fur isn't right. Her body shape is similar to a Rex so she might have some in her, but definitely not full breed.

Definitely not a Mini Rex - the coat's wrong, and at 7.5 lbs, she's approximately double the weight.

If I had to pick one breed, I'd go with Rhinelander. The show-quality Rhinelander has markings rather like an English Spot, with little spots of black and orange in the non-white areas. We've all heard about "Charlies" in other breeds that use the broken gene - that's a rabbit with almost no color, because it has two copies of the broken gene. A correctly marked Rhinelander has to have only one copy of the broken gene, and one for solid color. Breed two of those together, and you will get some babies that got two solid genes, and no broken genes.
Here's a pic of a litter of Rhinelander kits

As you can see, there are a couple non-brokens in there.

The body type of the Rhinelander is rather light; they are supposed to show a lot of daylight underneath when they sit, rather like your rabbit does in that one picture

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom