Rabid Duck????

Scovies eat just about everything!
lau.gif
I had one drakelet, about 3wks old, grab hold of a garter snake that was just about as long as he was. He wouldn't let go of it for anything and I thought he was going to choke but he finally got the whole thing down. Yummmmm!!! Smack! Smack! That was one happy Scovy!
lol.png

That was how I got my husband to let me keep the scovies I brought home 2 months ago.

"Oh they eat mice babe, thats why I got them. A cat in the poultry barn is untrustworthy and a menace, but a couple muscovey's, that is just sensible." Ha!

But seriously they will eat everything. So far I have seen small birds, frogs, toads, very large bugs, and mice on the menue. I woudl not trust them with ducklings, but since we dont have any of those this time of year they are a very welcome addition to the small vermine accessible barn.

Last edited:
I agree it is a bit gross. I hope to keep mine away from rodents and birds... it would make me a bit sick... Sweet little duckies.. I want to keep thinking of them in that way. : )

Tia

I always remind people that poultry are just fluffy little dinosaurs. Chickens are related to the T-Rex! When you think of your birds this way, things like eating mice and birds is not so surprising.

Well I guess that answeres my question about how the mouse got in my sons swimming pool. Its one of the big blow up kind and I just couldn't fathom how it got in there. My the scovies took over the pool and eventually popped it with their razor blades. And I do mean razor blades. I picked my drake up once and he kicked and sliced a 6" gash right into my leg. I knew they were sharp but not that sharp!! Oh well, love them anyway.

Last edited:
Wow. I had no idea that they could eat a bird. Mine do eat mice all the time. They eat them alive. It is pretty funny to watch them try and swallow them whole.

WOW! I had NO idea ducks were such carnivores to anything bigger than a snail. This thread has been an eye opener. I hope if mine do catch anything, they finish it off before I have to see them in the process! But it is nice to know they eat mice..........don't want to see it tho!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom