Rabies?

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I had a coon attack and one chicken has a neck wound pretty bad but she's
still alive and I've seen her eat bread and she pooped on my shoe while I was treating her w/ some left over amoxicillan from our cat but that's another story, it was pretty recent. And spraying neosporin on the wounds. The neck wound is pretty gross looking.
3days now. She's started to roost at night, and she talks to me alittle though she a cuckoo marans so not to friendly. She is of course seperated away from the others, I have her in a pen in a room off the back of our house.
Anyhow my daughter mentioned the R word and now I'm concerned. I'm not completely sure how she got wounded. I do know that 3 of the four killed got killed in the crush of the panic. Much the way people do when locked in a burning building. At least I think so. I didn't notice any wounds on them and one was warm when I got to the coop and the coon was working on one in the corner.
Anyhow should I be concerned and how long should I wait if at all? Should I just cull her? I expect I could get someone to do it for me. @#$%%^&&&% coons.

Unless the coon was attacking during the day and looked rabid I would think the hen will be ok and you are treating her sore neck. Neosporin works wonders.

Wounds, even awful looking ones, in chickens tend to heal fine over time. I would not cull her just for that.

birds can't get rabies but if there is saliva from a rabid raccoon you could get it if you get the saliva in an open cut, eyes, mouth, nose. I would wear gloves while handling her, especially if you have a cut on your hands, wash your hands thoroughly afterward and make sure not to touch your eyes or mouth. If she has been washed clean in that area the risks would be very low anyway. I see no reason to cull.

this is according to American Veterinary Medical Association:

Only mammals can get rabies;
birds, fish, reptiles and amphibians
do not. Most cases of rabies occur in
wild animals — mainly skunks, raccoons,
bats, coyotes, and foxes. In recent years,
cats have become the most common
domestic animal infected with rabies. This
is because many cat owners do not vaccinate
their cats before the cats are exposed to rabid
wildlife outdoors. Rabies also occurs in dogs
and cattle in significant numbers and, while
not as common, has been diagnosed in horses, goats, sheep,
swine and ferrets.

So the chicken can't be a carrier, you could only get it though saliva left on her if the raccoon was rabid.

Thanks everyone, you've put my mind at rest, I'll tell her (the chicken) what you said. I'm sure she'll be relieved too. Yes I talk to her, she's by herself right now so I have a captive audience. She does make noises which I take to mean "tell me more" as opposed to "shut up and get me more bread".
lol.png
Love ya

If you haven't already, catch the raccoon, take it to your local animal control and ask that it be sent to be tested. If you kill it first, DO NOT shoot it in the head, they won't be able to test it.

Back
Top Bottom